Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Horse fence planting?

Posted by ninjabut USDA z 8,CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 22, 06 at 21:54

I'm just starting my pottager, but my 20x40 area butts up to a horse field
I get along well with my neighbor , and have told her I would always research anything I grow along the fenceline.
Does anyone know of a vine or fast growing shrub that I could grow along the horse fence line? It would have to be non-toxic to horses/goats and also be not attractive to them either.
TIA Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Horse fence planting?

I think the term grass is always greener was started by horse and cow owners and their neighbors.. LOL What kind of fence would be my first concern. Show pictures, I'm really getting into potagers and love seeing the pictures.

o

I really don't know how to post pics.. The fence is 1x3" wire with metal and wood posts.
I just want to get rid of some of the horse/goat dust.
I have a new sliding glass door that goes out to this garden area, and really want to use it without filling the house with the dust.
Any ideas would be great! Nancy

o

Right off the top of my head I can't think of anything that would harm them animals BUT I'm not an expert. My point was that these horses will lean over your fence - it's just a horses way. Si maybe ask a local veternarian of what ypes of veggies/flowers that might upset a horses digestion.

o

I checked Texas's Ag Extension and lookee what they have:

http://texnat.tamu.edu/cmplants/toxic/livestock/horses.html

hope that helps!

o

echos, I know all too well that horses will lean over the fence! That is why I made the neighbor put up a new fence PROPERLY!!!! Her horses had ruined 2 fences due to them not knowing how to construct a proper fence.

manzonecorvus Thanks! Now I know what to grow to poison the neighbor's horses! LOL
Just kidding, thanks, at least it's a start to know what NOT to plant.
I'll go down to the extention office and talk with a Master Gardener as soon as the county fair is over and get their opinion.
All I see in the area are blackberries (YUK YK YUK)
Maybe some climbing roses would do the trick?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here