Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do we start seeds for fall?

Posted by jennbenn z7b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 10, 06 at 22:04

I know this probaly is a silly question, but when planning my fall veggie garden, when do I start seeds for the veggies? Also, want to plant lots of pansy's ... and cool season flowers that I can interplant. Think the time is now? I always struggle with timing with veggies..and somehow miss the boat. Thanks!
~jenn zone 7, Memphis,TN last frost date is in middle of Nov. I believe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do we start seeds for fall?

Hey Jenn:
I think you'd probably start yours a week or two before I start mine, so I'd begin next week with some things like cole crops that take longer to get going: cabbage, cauliflower, etc.

I begin to judge in August how warm it is relative to day length and then begin lettuces, arrugula etc. again. Usually between these two times I will start more asian veggies like bok and pac chois, mustards, kale and swiss chard.

I'm not sure what you do with root vegetables. We sow ours in the fall with direct seeding beginning in August.

GGG

o

Thanks GGG

I have some carrots I am harvesting as needed now, so when done I will try some more this fall. I will try to get my cole crops going soon, I missed the boat on these last year, then this spring missed again, got hot too fast. Only had a few sprigs of broc. (my husband loved it though). The cabbages sat and looked cute but didn't grow, so pulled them to get the tomatos, squash in. Veggies are hard to me. So, I will keep trying. Sorry for the ramble, but thanks for the help.
~jenn

o

Beets want 12 weeks before first frost.

o

You can contact your County Extension Agent for a chart that shows what variety of vegetables do best in your area, and the time(s) that are best to plant them. Our Extension has a chart for spring and one for fall.

Amd in case you don't have an Extension agent, you can check with your Department of Agriculture. Also, the universities are plum full of information.

Janie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here