Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lining raised beds necessary??

Posted by ponderous1 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 10:41

I just got my 4 4'x4' boxes lined up and ready to be filled. I set them over an existing lawn and lined them with cardboard. I am in the 11th hour right before filling with the soil that was dumped in my driveway yesterday and I got to thinking about chicken wire or hardware cloth. I have never had any mole activity in my yard (have not seen any in my entire neighborhood) and have never seen any rodents or activity of the like. I have birds and bunnies and lots of hawks and eagles flying around. I have a rather small lot (.14 acre) with no critter friendly area for nests and such. I keep everything weeded and clean to deter pests.

On that note...do I have to lay down some kind of wire in the bottom? My beds are 11" deep. Would love some opinions on the matter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lining raised beds necessary??

Do you have to? No, of course not. If you have never seen any activity before, it is not likely to happen all of a sudden. Granted, now is the easiest time to do it so you could ask yourself how you would feel if you lost some plants or how you would feel about digging all that soil out to do it at a later date.

I do have some gopher activity. Some of my beds are lined with chicken wire and some are not. There was just not enough energy or money to line all of my beds. I just make sure my most important and expensive plants (roses and trees mainly) have a wire basket.

o

I decided not to do wire. I did cardboard and soil and time will surely tell. I am doing a vegetable garden in these boxes so now my thoughts turn to border fencing for the bunnies and other potential thieves. lol

o

If you see ANY gopher activity in your neighborhood, I would line it with the Hardware cloth/gopher wire! Chicken wire is too large holes and is also too thin and will rot out in a couple of years (unless you put multiple layers, but still...better safe than sorry!)
Look at that large pile of dirt, and think of digging it in first, then out and in again!
Just noticed you already went without. Good luck to you and keep an eye out for those critters! Keep the above in mind for future beds, though, if you end up with gophers. Nancy

o

...any gopher activity in neighborhood...

I second that advice. We didn't have moles across the driveway to the edible garden area, so thought they surely won't burrow under the gravel driveway & didn't line the wood frames with wire. Now it's been a frustration as the crafty critters found the boxes of earthworm rich soil delightful. Thankfully, we don't have gophers in our area.

o

I never had voles, moles or gophers until this year. The voles took out my 3-year old asparagus, then went on to beets. I was ready to empty my raised beds to put down hardware cloth, BUT...

Hardware cloth is really expensive, and the holes in chicken wire are too large to keep anything out.

Then I found that Irish Spring soap is so offensive to sensitive noses that it keeps the voles out. Cut bars into chunks and place them around the outside of the raised bed, preferably under mulch. They will head the other way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here