Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggity_ma

Can you see your potager from space?

diggity_ma
16 years ago

I was just playing around with the satellite images on maps.google.com and realized I can see my potager from space! This picture looks like it was taken a couple of years ago in the early spring, so everything is brown and dormant, but it's still pretty neat to see it from this perspective. The white lines are the picket fence around the potager and back yard. What's deceiving is that this picture makes it looks like our yard is flat. Far from it! The curvy things behind the house are a series of stone walls - a nice masonry wall near the house and a boulder stone wall that does a switchback going up a steep hill. The curved line in front of the house down by the road is another HUGE boulder stone wall that contains our septic system. The reddish colored blob just outside the potager is the kids' swingset - I hate to say it, but I'll be sooooo glad when they get a little older and we can get rid of that eyesore!

And a picture of what it looks like this year up close:

It got a little overgrown this summer, but all in all has been extremely productive. It has really been a great year for gardening here in the Northeast.

-Diggity

Comments (7)

• julia3
    16 years ago

Yes, I can see mine from space;

{{gwi:1154955}}

• diggity_ma
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nice! The satellite got a nice crisp picture of your property Julia, and it looks great!

I wonder how often the satellite pictures get updated? I can tell when mine was taken - March of '05. Those straight white lines at the top of the driveway are 16' planks. It was a very wet spring, and I noticed that every time I went back to the chicken coop to tend the birds, I was making squishy footprints in the grass. So I put those two planks down to walk on.

-Diggity

• julia3
    16 years ago

My pic is from Google Earth and I just updated the program and the pic is from 2007--early Spring from the looks of it because the cherry trees up the driveway are in bloom as well as a couple of redbuds (you can see the hazy pink of the redbuds). This new pic is much better than my old one.

• manzomecorvus
    16 years ago

grrrr - my satelite pics were from a couple of years ago (they still have the tree that my neighbor lost Summer 06) AND they were taken in winter.

beautiful garden - diggity, I am getting hungry just looking at all those gorgeous veggies!!

• angelcub
    16 years ago

Yeah, mine are old, too. Guess we're stuck with close ups of our potagers. Oh, what will we do?! ; ) I love your potager, Diggity. It does look like you had a good year. When does your growing season end?

We still have a few good months out here in So.Cal. I still have chilies, maters and squash coming on, apples and maybe some pluots if the birds don't eat them while we're on vacation next week. I tried artichokes and forgot to pick them so now they're blooming. Still, they are pretty when they bloom. : ) Oh, and I have honeydew! They are small but look like they'll be tasty. Can't hardly wait!

I finally fixed up my potager pond and put a new "friend" in it to greet me each morning. Take a look if you get a chance. Her name is Ms. Lily Pad and she has some babies to keep her company. : )

Diana

Here is a link that might be useful: Potager pond

• diggity_ma
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lily Pad - I love it Diana! Your pictures look great.

It must be so nice to be able to garden year round. Even now, the first week of September, plant growth is starting to slow down. The summer harvest just keeps coming and coming at this point, but new plants for the fall crop are hit or miss. They know winter is coming and they don't seem motivated to grow unless you pamper them and make sure they want for NOTHING.

Thanks!
    -Diggity

• ninjabut
    16 years ago

I'm just in between with the summer and winter veges! I still have tomatoes coming out my ears, but they take up half of my raised bed!
    I have brussel sprouts, chard, snowpeas, lettuce, basil planted and don't have room for the broccoli to go in until the maters are done!
    This is only an 8X8' garden at this point. We have 2 new beds ready to go in for next year plus fruit trees.
    Hopefully, with the new beds, I can plant some vining plants in order to plant some winter veges in one of the smaller beds. Maybe a late crop of beans to shade the winter stuff when it's too hot in the fall?
    We have crazy weather here (zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the wine country).
    Aug., and Sept are usually our hottest months, but this year we've had a cool summer and are already having a cool fall! (Global warming?????)
    Nancy

Sponsored