Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

New Vegetable Garden Layout

lavender_lass
13 years ago

So, I've been saying all summer that I'm going to need another space for my bigger vegetables. Potatoes, broccoli, root vegetables, maybe corn, more tomatoes, squash, melons, pumpkins, pole beans...they're all either too big for my current space, or as is the case with my pole beans, my teepee keeps blowing over.

I have a good space (flat and sunny) on the other side of the yard. It's got the lilac hedge on one side, which doesn't make it too shady, but does block a lot of wind. It's also got metal sheds on another side (husband's storage areas) but they reflect a lot of heat...perfect for the tomatoes.

What I'm looking for are some ideas of how to lay out a functional, yet still attractive garden, for veggies that take up a lot more space. I still like the idea of beds with paths, at least for part of the space (and the tomatoes could be in a long bed against the sheds) but I'm not sure how much room the squash/melons will need. I have no problem with a few beds that are 8' x 8' but will those be big enough?

If anyone has pictures or ideas, please share them with me. I don't want a traditional vegetable garden, so that's why I'm asking on this forum. Growing some plants vertically is still a great option (I can probably get more metal arches on sale this fall for cherry tomatoes and cucumbers, etc.). I still want to have some cute Peter Rabbit accents and it's going to be a space for the older kids to help in the garden. The little kids will hopefully (if I ever get the weeds under control) have a little potager area, in the kitchen garden. Thank you...and again, open to any ideas :)

Comments (4)

• carol6ma_7ari
    13 years ago

I'd make the paths at least 4 ft. wide along the squash beds, and even so I'd probably have to pick up long snaking vine lengths and fling them back into the beds. And I'd put up some pieces of 3 or 4 ft. high open wire fencing, staked upright, down those beds, to hang some of the vines over as they grow. And grow.

Good idea, putting the tomatoes (in cages or to be fastened to an open fence ) on the sunny side.

What is the prevailing wind direction in the summer, that blows over those stringbeans? Maybe you could reinforce the teepees against that direction.

Carol

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol- The wind usually comes out of the southwest, but we get very strong wind gusts sometimes. Last year, I had the teepee over in the other area and the lilac hedge protected it from the winds. I'm thinking of putting two smaller teepees in that area next year. Maybe one for beans and one for flowers or mini-pumpkins :)

I think the heat reflecting off the metal sheds will really help the tomatoes. It's always a race to get them to ripen before frost. The tomatoes are doing well against the metal arbor this year, but they're getting too big for the space. Plus, I want to put some clematis in that area, since the morning glories didn't do well, at all. Clematis are already blooming by June and the morning glories are very slow to start growing in our area.

I love mixing flowers in with the vegetables, fruit and herbs. I think that's my favorite thing about potager type gardening. All the flowers make everything so bright and cheerful :)

• carol6ma_7ari
    13 years ago

I also love mixing vegs and flowers! But in the new potager I tried to be practical, so the flowers I grew were nasturtiums and borage, both beautiful and colorful salad additions. They go well with the various greens and dark reds of the mesclun lettuce mix.

I put in 2 dwarf fruit trees upwind, to break the strong spring wind from the SW here. They are still very small but I'm hoping in a couple of years they will gentle the wind but still be short enough to not block the sun.

Carol

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol- I would love to have room for some dwarf fruit trees! How very potager :)

For the new garden, I'm trying to come up with a plan that will be fun, but practical...and easy for the ten and over kids to navigate. It would also be nice to have a seating area. I have one shady corner that would be perfect.

Right now, I'm planning to have the entrance in the opposite corner (with an arbor over it) and put a diagonal path running from the entrance to the seating area. Then there would be (sort of) triangular beds on either side of the path, each large enough for a bean or mini-pumpkin teepee and pumpkins, squash or melons around them. There would also be two L-shaped perimeter beds (for potatoes, broccoli, tomatoes and some root veggies) one behind each triangle bed, separated by a narrower path.

The main path will probably be grass and about four feet wide (softer for the kids) but I might use blocks for the narrower paths. It would be nice to have a little heat reflecting into the beds in the spring. My growing season is so short, I can use all the help I can get!

Also, behind the little seating area, there might be just enough room for a couple of roses....just for a little color and fragrance, while I'm taking a well-deserved break :)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus