Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Experience with Lemon Gem Marigold

Posted by ali-b 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 15:50

This is my first year growing Lemon Gem Marigold. I like its feathery foliage and interesting scent. My plants however seem to be dying. I notice that one will start looking more dry than the others. When that happens the plant dies within a few days. All of them receive the same amount of water as my veggies since they're growing in the same beds and the veggies are happy. Has anyone encountered this behavior with lemon gem? I've grown other varieties of marigolds and they've been very vigorous, lasting until a hard frost.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Experience with Lemon Gem Marigold

I love this plant and it smells delicious, but unfortunately it gets tired out by the end of August unlike other marigolds. I just pulled out all of mine.

o

Thanks for the info. I thought I was doing something wrong with the poor things.

o

Is this one of the marigolds that deters harmful nematodes? Ifso,it's worth planting every year even if it does stop blooming early.

o

I love this marigold but have a hard time finding starter plants in the spring although the seed is easy to find in most catalogs. I am trying to think of when the marigolds stop blooming. This year we had very dry weather for NH so they didn't bloom well at all. The leaves looked curled up so it wasn't until we finally got some good rain late in the season that the plants looked good. Not sure if they deter nematodes but they are such a delightful small plant with such a wonderful fragrance that I love them in all sorts of places beginning with the way they add color to my herb garden.

But, hearing an individual plant die and then another just doesn't sound right. If you pull on the dying plant, does it come right up because the base of the stem has been chewed thru? I had some underground insect/grub chew thru a little row of parsley one August before I wised up.

o

defrost49
Thanks for the input. The plants still had a lot of roots. They just seemed to dry up and die. They were edging plants and the main plants were doing just fine (tomatoes, leeks, herbs, etc.) It's funny because I wound up having a few diehard lemon gems make it through a couple of light frosts and finally succumbed. Still don't know why so many others just shriveled up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here