Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Potager for kids

lavender_lass
14 years ago

I want to thank everyone for their help in designing my garden. I've decided to go with a vegetable "kitchen" garden with flowers for my larger garden area. I think it will give me more room for larger crops and just use mulch for pathways (that I can dig under for the next year).

However, I really thought Lulabelle's potager was very pretty and quite charming. I've already started a "fairy garden" for my nieces, with a grass path down the middle and an arch on one end. I'm thinking of adding another arch that will lead to a small potager. I plan to have smaller beds, 1 1/2 feet deep around the edges of the bed, with two middle beds (rather than four) that are 6 feet wide and 3 feet deep. It would be enclosed with a lattice fence, starting a few inches off the ground, hopefully making it easier to weed.

I plan to grow smaller versions of vegetables, such as cherry tomatoes, small carrots, petite peas, small cabbage and other fun vegetables, as well as edible flowers and shorter sunflowers along the back fence. My hope is to inspire my nieces and nephews to want to help me in the garden and eat their vegetables, as well as enjoying the flowers and fresh air.

It would also give me a good place to include my salad vegetables. So far I haven't fenced in any of my small garden beds, and nothing has eaten the lettuce, spinach or anything else, but we'll see if that lasts :)

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks for all the input so far!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction