Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmer_at_heart

My Pictures... eggplants, tomatoes etc

farmer_at_heart
16 years ago

In one of these threads I promised to let you know how my special eggplants did. I planted Blue Marble, Prosperosa, Round Mauve, and Rosa Bianca. I'm a little disppointed in the color of the Round Mauve simply because they are deeper purple similar to the Blue Marble and Prosperosa. The Rosa Bianca are quite unique. I am enjoying all of them. There is an example of each in the bottom photo. This has been a great year to be a gardener.

{{gwi:1155013}}

{{gwi:1155015}}

{{gwi:1155017}}

{{gwi:1155020}}

{{gwi:1155022}}

{{gwi:1155025}}

{{gwi:1155027}}

{{gwi:1155028}}

Comments (10)

• lilion
    16 years ago

What lovely photos! What, besides Basil and marigolds, is shown in the third picture? It all looks wonderful!

• farmer_at_heart
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carrots surrounding a tomato plant. There is actually an italina basil on the left corner which blends in, and the corner to the right has thyme which got completely overtaken. I love the purple basil. I am going to use more next year as accents. The square is laid out in 4 foot by four foot squarees, and there are about 8 carrots in each square. It worked out really well because weeds can't survive, and I've been thinning the carrots (larger ones first) and eating them for months and the others just fill in.

• farmer_at_heart
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are some more photos. The first photo on this thread is a Blue Marble which was a Burpee 2006 offering. No longer offered, but I saved some seeds. This is a similar one Prosperosa.

{{gwi:1155029}}

Round Mauve

{{gwi:1155030}}

Rosa Bianca

{{gwi:1155031}}

And a Baby Bubba Okra which grows just fine in a southern exposure in zone 5.

{{gwi:1155032}}

• manzomecorvus
    16 years ago

farmer,

wow! i love colorful veggies and the pix are stunning!

btw - how productive is baby bubba? I am usually disppointed in the dwarf plants, buwas happily suprised at Burpee's bush baby watermelon - I got two good size melons from each vine.

• farmer_at_heart
    Original Author
    16 years ago

With Baby Bubba I get 2, maybe 3 pods per plant. I've never grown the regular Okra because I'm in zone 5 and they wouldn't have a chance. I understand the regular Okra is quite tall so each plant must produce quite a bit.
    I grew North and South last year which I'm sure is also dwarf. They were awfully tough. Baby Bubba is very tender, and since I don't use much 12 plants give me more than enough for a couple of deep fried treats.

• angelcub
    16 years ago

It all looks delish! : ) I love the colors and shape of those eggplants. I may have to grow some next season.

Thanks for sharing your pics!

Diana

• BecR
    16 years ago

Wonderful garden you have there, Farmer at Heart! Rich colors and textures-- and everything looks so healthy and tasty.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Becky

• Tracy Brant
    16 years ago

Be careful with that purple basil, if you like order in the garden. It reseeds madly. Out of control at my mother's house. In the beginning, she didn't pull out volunteers, thinking all the purple ruffles were cute. Now they grow in the street gutters, rain gutters, all the beds, among the shrubs, etc.

You have lovely eggplants. I grew "Little Fingers" this year and got loads of the cutest little fruits. Good photos, with the decorative plate to highlight the colors.

• miteymo
    16 years ago

Wowey Zowey ! Fabulous pics, lovely potager! The vege pics look like something out of Garden Design!! Just wonderful! Thanks for sharing these inspiring photos! meo

• new2gardenfl
    15 years ago

How did you like the prosperosa? I purchased some seed to try. I grew black beauty before, but it wasn't very productive. Propseros is supposed to be very productive.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz