Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hobbit Garden

Posted by weeksc07 NH-Zone 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 10:53

So I'm a giant nerd and love the life style that Tolkien's Hobbits live, but unfortunately I can't remove myself to the Shire. What I can do, however, is cultivate my own little piece of Middle-earth in my back yard where I can go and relax and withdraw from our complicated world for a little while. What I came here for, though, is your help. I want to grow organic and heirloom where possible and I'm looking for suggestions of fun, Shire-y looking or sounding cultivars. I know for a fact that I want to grow early, main and late season varieties of potatoes (Rose Finn Apple and Irish Cobbler are two I'm interested in); runner beans (Painted Lady); carrots; a mix of greens in interesting shapes and colors; Charentais melons (these are a perfect example of what I'm going for: a little unusual to give it that sort of fantasy element, but completely logical to the Shire, unlike bananas or peppers); Brandywine tomatoes are an obvious choice, thanks to the Brandywine River; and many others. I'm also interested in edible flowers and I am definitely planning on growing nasturtiums, or as Tolkien would say, 'nasturtians' (right now Vanilla Berry are my choice, but I want to hear your thoughts). So give me your suggestions and rationale and let's start a discussion.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hobbit Garden

You could grow Dragon Tongue Bush Bean for Smaug! Or green arrow peas for Legolas! lol this is too fun what a great idea.

o
RE: Hobbit Garden

I also found a variety of apple named Pippin!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here