Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natureboy8888

My Front Yard Potager is Complete!!! (pics)

natureboy8888
14 years ago

Hi gang,

I appreciate the inspiration I've gotten from this forum, so I thought I would share our accomplishment. I put up a blog showing the progress of our front yard transformation, you can find it here...

Allan Family Garden

Here's a before picture:

{{gwi:670027}}

Here's a few after pictures:

{{gwi:670028}}

{{gwi:670029}}

{{gwi:670030}}

More stories and pictures )and bigger versions) on the blog.

Allan Family Garden

Thanks again for the inspiration!!!

-Bryan

Comments (22)

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

WOW Bryan! That is really just gorgeous! Way to go!! I am very inspired to begin more of my front yard gardening after seeing folks like you do such a beautiful job.

GGG

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

That's beautiful! Where did you get the fence and gate with arch? Did you build it yourself? I have a friend on the cottage forum that wants to put a potager in her front yard. She'll love this...also great water feature!

• guavalane
    14 years ago

Wow! What a tasteful design and impeccable execution! I especially adore the fence, the arbor, the water fountain, etc...

• Donna
    14 years ago

Now THAT's a front yard garden that no one could ever fault! Lots of hard work....wonderful results.

• jmpete
    14 years ago

that is absolutely fabulous! i like that you have some fruit trees started. my garden is only vegetables and flowers except for the raspberries by the pine trees which i don't take care of!!

what a wonderful example of what you can produce from a garden in your yard.

thanks for sharing!!!

• kamisha100
    14 years ago

That's one amazing and inspirational garden! I am planning out my beds for my new home. I loved the idea of having a water feature to enjoy in the center of the garden! Now, I can't wait for your next season to start so I can enjoy it with you. Keep the updates coming!

• PRO
    Goodnight Design
    14 years ago

I'm a landscape designer and have just suggested to a client a solution such as you have done. I will advise her of your page and photos. Very nicely done!

• miteymo
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for the wonderful pics!

• ourunique
    14 years ago

Your yard is absolutely lovely and I am jealous! If you did all that work and planting in the front yard I can only imagine how wonderful your backyard must look!

"two dozen varieties of perennial herbs"
    Would you mind sharing a list of the Perennial Herbs you planted?

Thank you for sharing with us.
    Donna

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Inspiration for my girlfriend's new garden. Your house looks just beautiful.
    Renee

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I was looking for ideas under potager fences and I found this site. I recognized a lot of the pictures as some of my favorite potagers, from other websites. Then, I saw yours...also a beautiful garden. Did you know this was on their site? Just thought I'd ask :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ferncreek Design

• ali-b
    13 years ago

Lavender - Thanks for digging up that website. I too have been looking for fence ideas. I think it's interesting how photos of one garden will pop up on other websites. That first picture in the article, I know, is from a Bucks county Pa garden that was featured in Country Living magazine!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Ali-b, That's one of my favorite fences for a potager! I just don't think I can convince anyone to dig post holes for me, so a wooden fence is going to be tough. Maybe I can use metal posts with wooden lattice. LOL

What are you planning to do for your potager fence?

• ali-b
    13 years ago

Well, I've figured if I wanted wooden posts, I'd be digging 17 post holes. Not a thrilling prospect. I probably could get hubby to do some of them, but he's had so many things going on this fall that I don't see it getting done. My other thought is to use those metals posts as you mentioned and bolt on panels made of 2x2's covered with the black deer mesh fencing. I wonder if those metals posts would be sturdy enough to support the panels.

With my last fence I buried about a foot of the chicken wire underground. This did seem to help deter burrowing critters but not all. I still see small holes about 2 feet from the fence that come up about 2 feet on the other side. (Mice/voles?) So, I also wonder if I should spend the time to retrench and bury a barrier with the next fence.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I think the metal posts work well. You can always get the heavy duty ones...it just depends on how heavy the panels are.

I'm kind of thinking of using 2" x 4" metal grid fencing, that comes in 50' rolls. I've used this at my mom's and it works really well. There we did 4' high, but I only want to go 2' to 3' high in the kitchen garden. Then, I'm hoping to wire wooden trellis to the fence, to make it look a little nicer. If I have too tall a fence, it makes the arches look out of proportion...and the deer can still jump over it, anyway :)

As for the critters, do you have any kitties? We have barn kitties and I never have anything getting into my garden, except for the deer. The kitties take care of all the other problems, either catching them, or just running them off from the area. I'm sure we still have all kinds of little critters (LOL) some distance from the house.

• lily51
    13 years ago

Beautiful fisished product (though we know gardens are never really fisnished) and the produce. Totally changed your home's appearance, and I agree with the comment that it's so much better than a front yard. Maybe you'll start a trend.
    also visited Allan family garden. It certainly took a lot of work and dedication, but am sure it was fun, too.
    Congratulations and enjoy!

• ali-b
    13 years ago

lavender - I don't have any kitties but there are several either from neighbors or feral that stalk around my property. I need to entice them to patrol more around my garden (as long as they continue to keep my house and garage mouse free).

BTW, if the Allen Family is out there, I would love to see more pics or an update to the Allen family garden blog.

• nancyjane_gardener
    13 years ago

Beautiful, Bryan! I LOVE it!
    Did you know that unlike goldfish who only grow as large as their environment will allow, Koi keep growing? It's hard to tell how big your pond is. http://www.americanponders.com/
    You should be able to find a pond calculator here.
    Wouldn't want your new friends to get too cramped in future years!

• amberroses
    13 years ago

In the first picture I thought, "Ok it's just a house just like 5 million other houses in America" but then, wow, the second picture is so pretty and changes the whole look. You really have something special now.

• carolynbinder
    13 years ago

Congratulations on a stunning job! Love all the detail, and I am sure you are enjoying the bubbling fountain. What a wonderful enhancement to your home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cowlick Cottage Farm

• gwenb
    13 years ago

Holy moly, that is some transformation! I love it! Off to read your blog now...

• Jetherina
    13 years ago

Wow this is Great!!! Loved the pics, you did a fantastic job!!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert