Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best edging plants for raised bed potagers

Posted by Fostermamas none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 14:13

I'm wanting to add an edging plant to the center foursquare of my potager and am looking for advice. I originally thought liriope but I hear it can be quite invasive. I want to keep it small and contained so not anything as large as boxwood. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best edging plants for raised bed potagers

Chives? Parsley? Bulls Blood beets? Sorrel? It's a potager so edibles would make sense.

o

nasturtium....showy flower & edible

o

I used parsley for edging this year and loved it. Also Lobelia and petunias, both of which will hang down the sides and add great color.

o

If you go for Nasturtiums choose a dwarf variety. A single plant of a traditional creeping nasturtium would fill that bed. Plus if the soil is rich, as it would be for vegetables, Nasturtiums would grow enormous and leafy.

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 13:04

What works for me is to use different biennial or perennial edgings combos in each bed so I can remember what is planted where and direct a family member to go out to get more of something while I'm in the kitchen.

I plant curly parsley with garlic chives and flat leaf parsley with onion chives. I let flat leaf parsley reseed & move seedlings to wear I want them or leave as a groundcover for brassicas. I am not letting curly parsley reseed this 2nd year. What we don't eat I feed to the our rabbits & chickens, so it's used up.

To tie the beds together I've planted Calendula, pot marigold and a few pansies. I also sometimes add a few bedding or dwarf dahlias in summer. Slugs are attracted to the pansies & the dahlia so eat them before my lettuces.

o

Small marigolds, alyssum, calendula, small zinnias and pansies/violas, if there's a little shade :)

o

Lovely potager by the way!

Dianthus might be an interesting choice. The flowers are pretty, and the foliage is blue green and seems to stay in a contained little mound. I have not personally tried this, but the flowers are edible and supposed to taste clove-like. Other edible flowers are pansies and nasturtiums.

Another advantage to planting flowers, even if not edible, would be to attract pollinators. The only challenge would be finding flowers that stay small and neat.

Another option that might work are plants that repel pests, such as marigolds or herbs such as basil (there is a small cultivar that looks like boxwood but I'm not sure how big it gets).

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants that repel pests

o

Here's some info on Boxwood Basil. It stays small and compact, 8" to 14" tall and wide. I might try this myself!

Here is a link that might be useful: Boxwood Basil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here