Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show Us Your 'Prettified' Row Covers, Hoops, Rain Blankets

Posted by blameitontherain 8 PNW wetandwetta (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 11, 09 at 17:22

Hi.

I posted this on another forum and someone guided me to this one as more appropriate. Wow! The potagers you all have created are brilliant! I am so glad to find you!

Are you the opposite of Gunilla Knutson? Instead of embracing the zen of "take it off, take it aaaaall off", do you cover up your tomatoes and other heat-loving, rain- hating plants? In this part of the world, it really helps to cover up in early Spring and to provide shelter from the fall rains prior to our first frost, but I don't want to destroy the aesthetics of my potager* with anything too unsightly. If any of you use protective devices in creative or attractive ways**, I would love to see your photos!

With great excitement and anticipation,

Rain

*you'd think it would have occurred to me to search out a forum with the name of "Potager Gardens", non?

*c'mon, get your mind out of the gutter!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show Us Your 'Prettified' Row Covers, Hoops, Rain Blankets

Other than neat, I wouldn't call my row covers pretty. I use tomato cages as the hoop part and lay the white row covers over them.

o

Thanks for the response, donnabaskets.

There must be a more aesthetically pleasing way to way to protect tender plants. I thought of using rows of glass cloches but they're expensive (like $75.00 each for the larger sizes). The plastic ones don't appeal to me and I'm not keen on plastic in our organic garden.

Hmm, any other ideas?

Rain

o

My protective devices would probably not suit your athetic needs. I have PVC hoops covered with all manner of psychedelic thrift store sheets and a layer of plastic over top of that. I don't much care at that point for pretty, I just want to eat!

GGG

o

You might try looking at Jennifer Bartley's book on potagers. As I recall, she covered almost every topic and had lots of pictures.

Pretty is nice, but functional is also important. I always have to balance these out with cost, so aesthetic isn't always the first consideration, but good luck on your row covers!

o

Thanks for the tip, lavender lass. I'll check it out of the library and give it a look-sie over the weekend.

Rain

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here