Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
manzomecorvus

Roll Call!

manzomecorvus
16 years ago

Hi y'all,

Think its time to roll call and see who's out there. Since its heading into fall (at least down here in zone 8b), I thought I'd also ask what do you do with your potager in the winter?

I'll go first. My name is Mary, I live in Austin TX and I run a small attempt at a potager. My favorites are melons and watermelons - my current favorite is Jenny Lind, which like all my melon seeds, I buy from Heirloom Seeds. Since my winters have a tendency to get filled with social commitments, I turn my beds into compost piles. I lay newspaper over the soil, and then drag in leaves, grass, manure, etc and then let it rot. This keeps the prairie weeds down and gives me good rich beds without me trying to run a compost pile all year long. While its rotting, I can then go and bake for the holidays with one hand and read seed catalogs with the other. One of my hard earned garden skills!

Comments (10)

• laxfan
    16 years ago

I'm Jon, I live in Alpharetta (that's the N side of Atlanta), GA. I've decided to turn my tomato-heavy veggie garden into more of a true potager (though not in the parterre style) this spring. Many of the greens and herbs I grow come from an Italian seed company, Franchi. After I tear out this year's remaining plants (still getting tomatoes, basil, etc.) I'll mulch up some leaves, lay on this year's compost bin, and let things cook- although in years past I have had fava beans overwinter and produce in the early spring.
    jg

• wolfe15136
    16 years ago

I'm in Pittsburgh, PA I'm still getting tomatoes and basil too. I bought a coldframe, and, after the first frost (almost two weeks overdue!) I thought I'd try some spinach and lettuce.

• skipp
    16 years ago

I have a small potager. Right now I have cabbage, beans and greens going.
    I hope to be putting my beds down during the next 30 days.

• ninjabut
    16 years ago

Nancy here, I have a small area, about 8x8.
    I'm in No CA zone 8ish.
    I still have some maters, but I think I'm going to pull them and hang the plants.
    I'm starting lettuce, beets, snow peas, broccoli, chard.
    I started brussel sprouts last spring? (nursery had them ready)
    They ended up with big time aphids!!!!!
    We are adding 2 raised beds to the pottager this year, and adding flowers!
    Happy Gardening!

• miteymo
    16 years ago

I live in San Pedro, California which is either zone 11 or 24 depending on whether or not you follow the Sunset Gardening Zones.

My husband is rototilling our small area which (hopefully) will soon be a lovely potager! We're late with getting things in, but so be it. Staring cool weather veges and some iceland poppies mixed in. We'll see how it goes!

Happy gardening to all! meo

• angelcub
    16 years ago

Hi manzo! I am late to the party as usual. ; ) Don't you just love those seeds from Heirloom - they are some of the best!

As for my potager in winter, I don't grow much since I'm in a cold area of So.Cal. I clean it up in late fall and give it raised beds a few inches of compost, then just let it rest for a few months. I usually have volunteer violas and snaps which give the beds some winter cheer.

I'll link to my site. You'll see a link to the potager near the top of the site. Most of you have seen them before. I'm sorry I don't get over to this forum as much as I used to. I've been so busy with inside stuff (kitchen remodel) and my dad had another stroke. He's doing better but will probably never be his old, vibrant self again. : (

I hope you're all having a wonderful holiday season! Stay warm and safe!

Diana

Here is a link that might be useful: sycamore cottage

• lyonsy
    16 years ago

Hello

I am John and I live in Los Angeles. My Potager, a loose interpretation of the term, is a former lawn and now a front yard full of fruit , veg and flowers. My winter garden is in full production right now. Pictures are posted in the post entitled Pictures Of My Potager. The pictures of the garden with greens galore are from Nov 15th approx. I have tomatoes sitting there wondering why it is getting cold..not sure of they will produce anymore.

John

• pushindirt
    16 years ago

I live in Southern Oregon. I don't have a potager, but I'm helping a friend landscape for a large one. About 6400 sq ft.
    I've moved lots of dirt and leveled ground. In spring, the fences go up. The plan is to have a kitchen garden/potager with everything all fenced in with every conceivable veggie there is (okay, not every). His wife wants non-edibles, he wants edibles. I think they'll find a happy medium. He is writing a blog about the whole process with pictures, over on another garden forum.

Dave

• ninjabut
    16 years ago

Hey, Dave. Any way to find this blog?
    We're in the process of building our pottager with a nursery guy that my DH carved a business sign for (I LOVE bartering, especially when the DH does the work!)
    I want to cram in as much as possible!
    Our first bed was 8x8 (not knowing about SQ FT gardening at the time) The next 2 are going to be 4x8 so we can reach into the garden without messing with our backs!
    I also want to add a few dwarf fruit trees.
    Anyway, any help is appreciated. Nancy

• amy_d-r
    16 years ago

Howdy, all. "Phase 1" of my potager is two small raised beds and 3 potted blueberry bushes in the back corner of the yard. I'm new to this whole gardening thing, but knew as soon as I bought this house that I wanted a potager. I think my phase 2 next year will be adding another raised bed and then forming the beginning of a "fence" made of cutting flowers.

This winter, I let the potager get all covered with snow before I cleaned everything up. Oops.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals