Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Re-thinking the fence....

lavender_lass
13 years ago

Well, after year one in the potager, I've found that I need to make some changes. I've already added two more arches and put the birdbath back in the center. I'm also adding some more blueberry bushes and moving the raspberries. The tomatoes did not work around the arbor, but moving the roses and herbs there have made a big difference. So far, the deer have quit nibbling on the roses.

But, I think my biggest challenge next year, will be the fence. I think I need one, just to keep the deer from "eating through" the garden. I know it won't keep them out, but it's much easier to 'defend' my plants, if there's something to back them up against. It also will give me some needed support for the raspberries, bee balm, etc.

I don't have much money and I don't want to block the view...one of the big reasons I haven't put a fence in, before now. I've been thinking about wire, but from what I've seen in other people's gardens, it usually ends up being covered with weeds. A slightly more expensive idea is wooden lattice. It will rot eventually, but the 2' high lattice might be a good solution. I would probably install it four to six inches above the ground (in order to weed) since I don't have to worry about the smaller garden invaders...the barn kitties seem to keep them out :)

Any ideas or suggestions for the fence? Any pictures? I'm also thinking of putting slightly taller lattice fencing in the corners, to protect those roses. Maybe 3' tall. Do you think I should have a jog where they meet, or cut a curve to connect it to the 2' tall lattice? Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

• carol6ma_7ari
    13 years ago

The deer may not be finished with your garden yet. Remember, colder weather takes away much of their food and when they are hungry, they'll remember where they found food this past summer.

I didn't want to block the view either, Lavender; so I went to HD and bought rolls of 3 ft. high black wire fencing, which has openings about 4"x6". Then after I nailed it (using little fence staples) to the posts, I also added a 1-ft. high double protection along the bottom, of chicken wire, against the bunnies. Then I saw the size of the deer hanging around down in the wetlands below the yard, and put ANOTHER roll above the first one, for a total height of 6 ft. I've read that they can jump over anything up to 8 ft., but if they clear my fence, they're welcome to eat whatever they want, since they'll be on their way to become Olympic stars.

As for weeds, no problem if you hoe the beds right up to the fence (on the inside) and mulch heavily there, and weed-whack the grass right up to the fence (on the outside). You might want to change your bed layout and put some beds directly against the inside boundary of your potager.

Also, the open wire allowed as much sun as possible to come through. And the 4-6' tall fence posts are good for climbing roses.

Carol

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The only problem with a really tall fence...is that the deer will walk past the kitchen garden and go eat my roses in the other gardens! LOL

Right now, they're pretty happy with the kitchen garden, but except for the roses and a few raspberries, there's not much they really want to eat. Since I moved most of the roses up against the arbor with the two benches, they haven't touched them. I put some lavender and herbs in front of the roses, but they're still pretty small. The other day, there were deer tracks on the corner of the bed, they had taken a bite of the bee balm and left. So, apparently any kind of barrier is better than nothing :)

Right now, I have beds that are too deep around the perimeter of the garden. I'm hoping the fence will not only divide the bed down the middle, but also make it easier to maintain the garden. On the outside is mostly fruit and perennials, with the inside beds more for annnual vegetables and flowers.

I still have the arbor in the middle, where I put the clematis (with the roses and herbs) on one half...and the new area (where the bird bath is in the picture) is going to get four small beds for mini-veggies and two more arches, for climbing beans.

Anyway, what do you think about the lattice fence? I know it's short, but I was hoping I could use it for a fence and maybe for a bit of a trellis too, for peas, cukes, clematis, etc. I can always put a wire above the top, to make the "trellis" part a little taller, but I don't want the lattice so tall that it starts blocking the views, when someone's sitting down at the arbor.

Thanks for the tips about the wire. I'm still considering that as a possibility, too :)

Here's the same old picture of my garden, but it shows the areas I'm talking about. I was hoping to take new pictures today, but it was too cold after work. I'll try to get out there earlier, tomorrow.

{{gwi:243812}}

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

Any fence less than 6 ft tall is a total waste of money if you are hoping to control the deer in any way.

In some areas, 6 ft of fence isn't tall enough.

I use game fence, which is 6 1/2 ft tall and has squares that are 6 inches. Then the bottom has to be covered with chicken wire to keep the bunnies out.

That stops my deer and it can be seen through so the view isn't hidden.

You can use electric fence wire and you can see through that.

The heavier grade of deer netting might work. I suspect they'd walk right through the lighter weight stuff.

If you have some other use for a short fence, that's fine. But if you expect it to stop any critters of any kind, save your money, because it won't stop anything.

My area is chuck full of fences that are 4 ft or 5 ft tall, topped by extension poles and another couple of feet of wire. People put in fence, hoping to keep the deer out, and then discover that the fence must be much much higher, so they add onto the top. It would have saved them money and looked a lot better if they'd installed the fence correctly the first time.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm