Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Putting it to sleep

Posted by nancyjane_gardener USDA 8ish No CA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 7, 11 at 20:26

I'm going to be pulling some things and planting some winter stuff this weekend. We still have a couple of weeks til we get a frost (I hope!)
Any vege beds that I'm not using, I just cover with leaves and grass clippings, then top with perforated cardboard to discourage weeds.
The problem is my new herb bed. The herbs are mostly in pots, surrounded by nasturtiums. I have creeping thyme planted in the ground, and it hasn't spread enough to block out weeds, so how do I block them out without smothering the creeping thyme???? I've been able to keep up with the weeds during the nice weather, but we're surrounded by horse fields and anything not covered gets covered in weeds over the winter. Any thoughts on this? We are in a very windy area, so just pieces of cardboard will blow away.
Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Putting it to sleep

I would still use some mulch. Mix with sand if you're concerned about it being too water retentive. Maybe try overlapping multiple sheets of newspaper covered with the mulch & weighed down a bit more with large rocks.

The thyme is so slow growing, so you'll just have to keep up with pulling what sprouts every now & then before the weeds go to seed or get too large.

Corrine

o

They called for frost the last three nights, so I had a very busy week putting it all to bed....Picked and pulled out the last of the cowpeas, cucumbers, tomatoes, and okra; covered up the pole beans with row covers; planted the onions and garlic; and stripped the pepper plants of their fruit, both red and green. Potted up the last of the cuttings from my flower beds, divided tender grasses, potted them up, and brought them inside, finished dividing the daylilies, and pulled out the worst looking annuals. I was feeling very sad, saying farewell to summer...But, No Frost. Yeah! I knew it was too early, but you have to take it seriously anyway.

We ate our first mess of greens this week, and I made the first pot of soup: a winter only dish. We should have another month yet before the season is truly over, but it feels that way now. I put on long pants and a sweater this morning....Come on, spring! :)

o

Donnabaskets, where in MS are you located? I would like to communicate with you as I am also in MS. Look forward to hearing from you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here