Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
resalesally

Fruit Bushes

I want to border my kitchen garden with fruits. I think it is approximatly 30 feet long. I am wondering if I can mix everything together or if I need to keep the blueberries next to the blueberries etc. I have 2 grapes I got on sale and I just planted a raspberry and some other berry plant.

I want to add more berries as my budget permits - lots of raspberries and whatever else I find, thanks, Sally

Comments (5)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Sally- I'm no expert, but I have five purple raspberries in one area, with blueberries behind them. In fact, the blueberries are on two sides of the garden (on the outer perimeter) with strawberries underneath.

I've thought about adding some grapes on another side of the garden (I love concords) but I've heard they need more support, so I'll have to get a heavier duty fence, for them.

My mom has the perfect fence in the back of her garden, so she's putting her grapes back there, with blueberries and strawberries, against another part of the fence.

On the other end of the yard, she's planning to put red raspberries, with a couple of wires in front of them, to keep them from falling on the ground. Red raspberries can sucker, so they do best in an area, where you can keep an eye on them.

Good luck with your fruit! :)

• ali-b
    13 years ago

I've read that blueberries and strawberries grow well together. Blueberries do need a more acid soil condition that strawberries are okay with. Other plants may not like those conditions.

In my garden, I planted 4 blueberries and filled in with a variety of herbs. The blueberries seemed fine and made a handful of berries and the herbs looked happy too.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Ali-b...everyone says that blueberries need very acid soil, but so far my mom and I have had great luck with them. According to my soil tester, my soil is Ph 7. We'll see if the blueberries are still happy in the next few years :)

What herbs did you plant with your blueberries?

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

Blueberries are fairly mannerly and pretty to look at. Some of them have nice red fall foliage. They can be planted with other acid loving plants.

Grapes, raspberries, and blackberries take a lot of care and they are fast growing. The brambles are invasive. It is easier to care for them if they aren't mixed in with other plantings.

Although, if you train your grapes a bit higher, or up an arbor, you can have shade tolerant plants underneath them.

• riverfarm
    13 years ago

We have heard that blackberries and raspberries don't work well when grown together. We had wondered why the plants of each type did so poorly where they were next to each other. Now we have them growing on either side of a brick walkway and they seem much happier.

Our blueberry plants are thriving outside the garden, in an area that has acid soil which has never been amended. They did not produce when we tried growing them in the garden itself.

Sponsored