Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Potager Garden

Posted by CharlieBoring 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 13:20

I know nothing about what a "potager" garden should be, however my wife has always grown herbs such as sage, rosemary and basil among our landscape plants, so I thought that I would build a raised garden where I can plant herbs and certain other shade tolerant vegetables such as lettuce and swiss chards. I intend to pattern the raised bed after another that I built and I have attached a picture of it. The difference will only be that it will be in an area that gets less sun and I will plant different plants. In this one I have artichokes in the middle and gojiberries on each end. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Potager Garden

This is very pretty! It's a really nice use of space!

o

What a nice garden bed! I would just make sure that the new one is well-drained and does get at least some sun. And I would also research the herbs you're planting, because some herbs prefer a lot of sun.

There are so many pretty lettuces and chards out there that you'll be able to make a wonderful pattern in the new garden--sort of like an area rug, only more three-dimensional.

I'd suggest edging the beds with edible flowers such as Johnny-Jump-Ups (violas). I see that you have some nasturtiums in your artichoke bed, but I'm talking about flowers all the way around the edge. Sweet alyssum would be another good choice, although it's not edible as far as I know. But it looks wonderful spreading onto the stone edges. It will tolerate some shade. Very easy to grow from seed, and quick to flower.

Or you could get the more vining types of nasturtium. They don't really climb; they ramble across the ground, which would help shade out weeds in your artichoke bed. One of my favorites is Moonlight, a lovely light yellow. Out of Africa or Variegated Queen have variegated foliage. Or look for "Tall Climbing Nasturtiums," which is usually a mix of flower colors with plain foliage. They too are very easy to grow from seed.

Please post photos for us! I look forward to seeing them.

Jennifer

Here is a link that might be useful: Nasturtium Variegated Queen

o

I would never put nasturtium IN a garden (at least in this area) because it tends to take over the area! Any that come up IN the vege garden are promptly plucked! The N word took over my herb garden to the point that we couldn't FIND our herbs and have had to totally re-do the herb garden ( in pots). We are STILL finding N's EVERYWHERE!
I love them on the outskirts of the garden, but they are a PEST in the garden! JMHO Nancy

o

Oh, that's interesting. They don't take over my garden at all; I plant them each year in a vain attempt to distract squash bugs and borers!

Very pretty potager, littlelizzy!

o

Our nasturtiums never grow large enough to be a problem...but we only have about five months of frost free weather.

Very pretty bed...I think you have a great idea! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here