Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamark

My Jungle....

adamark
13 years ago

I'm not sure if my garden qualifies for the name "potager" but surly it was fun. BTW, that was my first year and as you can see I didn't realy know how big those veggies can get.

{{gwi:364380}}

Comments (9)

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    13 years ago

Nice garden adamark & yes I think that it certainly can be called a potager. Learning to space things out properly in intensive planting beds takes some trial & error, but if you take pictures & keep some records from each year, you will start getting it right. The book "Square Foot Gardening" by Mel Bartholomew might be worth while checking out at your library for help on spacing.

• natal
    13 years ago

Looks like the quintessential square foot garden! Mel tends to cram everything together ... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

OH MY GOSH! I am a newbie at gardening and the pictures tell such an amazing story! I am dreaming about my garden and lurking on the Wintersowing forum, but am now worried that I haven't nearly enough land to support my vision! You must have had a lot of wonderful yummy veggies all Summer long. When was the first pic taken and did you direct sow these or buy started plants?

Your Potager Garden is beautiful!

• adamark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

firsthouse - again it was so much fun. I'm still picking up some kale from under the snow. See below. Practically, everything was from seeds. Most of the staff was winter sowed! Beans and peas I sowed directly. I even WSed beets and they came great. Tomatoes and some peppers were sowed inside. Again, that was my first summer in the new house and first time gardening. I used to grow tomatoes that I used to buy. I don't remember when the first picture was taken. I know, it was early, I remember my DH mumbling that is too early, too early etc. Like he would know - he hates gardening....

{{gwi:364381}}

{{gwi:364382}}

From this...

to this...

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

WOW, kale in Chicago today! That's amazing. I just finished reading Eliot Coleman's Four Season Harvest and am devouring a few other books about planning a veggie garden. Still trying to figure out how to keep my chickens from the area.Your salad looks beyond yummy--I dream of growing a veggie garden with all that!

It was gorgeous today in Northern California with sunny skies and temps in the mid-50s, so we had plenty of nice weather to start some WSing. I got all my milk jugs and water bottles prepped but ran out of time to actually put in the seeds...tomorrow hopefully! How many plants do you think you put in your garden?

This is all I harvested today--alfalfa sprouts!
    {{gwi:459799}}

• Jetherina
    13 years ago

Truly a beautiful garden, thank you for sharing your pics!!

• Sally "Cricket" Benfer
    13 years ago

wow nice

• miteymo
    13 years ago

Beautiful ! Thanks for sharing!

• adamark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for you kind words. As I said, that was fun. I think, I have learned a lot. I know, I still will make a lot of mistakes. I can not wait to start again. As a matter of fact, I kind of started. I also do winter sowing. Most of these veggies were ws'ed. One good think about being so crawded, there was no room for weeeds. Practically, I didn't have to weed at all. So this year, it also going to be quite crawded, however, maybe not as much.

Sponsored