Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new garden

Posted by resalesally 6B (resalesally@aol.com) on
Mon, Dec 26, 11 at 19:14

I am about to convert a lunge ring into a garden. It is about 120 feet in circumference. My plan is to divide it into 4 quadrants with a circular path dividing two larger beds, per quarter. The total beds will be 8. I will most likely cover the area with cardboard before putting horse manure on top. I will mulch the paths with bark. I plan on putting potatoes, squash and corn out there, as well as other sprwalers. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new garden

Hi, Sally--

I had to look up "lunge ring" to find out what sort of enclosure you were writing about. OK, a sort of paddock for horses. What I coudn't figure out is the size: 120 feet in circumference is about 35 ft. in diameter. Is that what you mean?

That's about the size of my fenced kitchen garden, 35 x 30. My suggestions, but obvious to you, I'm sure: shorter plants to the south side, climbers on the north side. Make the paths wide enough for your biggest wheelbarrow. Put in a few edible flowers such as nasturtiums and borage, and salad fixings (lettuces, radishes etc.) around the edges.

Good luck!

o

Hi Sally, I'd recommend the smaller size bark for your paths, the large bark chips are awful to walk on. Plus the smaller chips break down into nice dark earth in about 2 years and can be shoveled into your beds before you replace it with fresh chips.

It sounds like a beautiful garden space, being round like that. I agree with Carol, you want it to be utilitarian but also has to be pretty to appease your inner gardener, so include flowers. If you add a few just for beauty purposes, you can use the potager for a cutting garden as well. In a space that large you should have plenty of room.
Cheryl

o

I fence the area in for my chickens....will have to find a different place for the sprawlers :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here