Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
giving some of my dead zone back to partial wildness

Posted by dav8 ct. (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 12:06

About 3 years ago I stopped mowing about one-half acre of my yard. My only chore has been to pull up all saplings,and trim down the goldenrod. It has not been an unpleasant task. What I'm left with is an area that attracts wildlife,some native plants,and has turned out to be a mecca for crickets, who serenade me for free.My purpose in this post is just to emphasize that one can be happy without being OCD about consensus requirements regarding "meadows." If the area is small enough you can prevent it from reverting to a forest, without labor intensive efforts,and it sure beats the "dead zone" of a lawn.It's lazy and I love it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: giving some of my dead zone back to partial wildness

I couldn't agree with you more. It's nice having spaces without trees, even if they are not perfect in terms of diversity. I have a few 'dead zones' at my place that I never mow and I usually try to toss whatever scraps I have left into these areas after i complete my Fall seed collecting. There a lot of simple things that require little energy but have big payoffs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Improved Ecosystems

o

Right..the hell with perfection, and being anal, and all that stuff. "Simple things that require little energy but have big payoffs"...(very well put),are the way to go for me. I'm 62. The conservation of flesh and bones is something I've become very attentive to in my approach to my "meadow", and gardens. Thank you for your positive feedback.

o

I see areas in the farm land where land was deserted for a while and in a short time is over run with "weed trees". Without sporadic fire as a control mechanism, it does require vigilance to keep the weeds in control. But well worth it.
It'd s lot of fun to take an area like you have and clear small patches to put in some 'decorative' wildflowers. Keep doing that every year and you will have the neighbors constantly over there oohing and aahing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here