Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
poppies

Posted by karen_2008 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 9, 08 at 13:25

Last summer I went to Germany and I smuggled some Oriental Poppies into the US, some seeds are loose and some are still in the pods. Where and when do I plant these seeds with the most success. Please helpIn the summer it is very hot and dry in this area

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: poppies

Are you talking about what we think of as breadseed poppies?

I have the breadseed poppies and as soon as the seed pods mature (this is about early July) I collect some of the seed and then rebroadcast in the fall on unmulched soil. They also need to be sown in an area that receives full sun. Mine aren't too picky about the soil as long as it's not wet.

And then beginning next May, the new seedlings begin pushing up. I don't water them, I just let the natural rainfall here in the Midwest take care of things.

You just repeat the process of saving some seed every year.

Hope this helps,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here