Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redthistle

What Happens if I Don't Mow?

Redthistle
13 years ago

I'll be honest, this post is the result of the relentless summer mowing I do with a push mower in the Texas heat for 2-1/2 hours every two weeks and from reading the new Lawnreform blog and a book review on meadows.

I have the equivalent of the Gardener's Enemy, Bermuda, for my front lawn. I doubt it was planted, but rather traveled from the neighbor's yard. We bought our plot of land as a vacant lot. We moved our house on it.

Over the years, I have never mowed or fertilized the Bermuda, and it continues to survive on about 1" of top soil over caliche. In places, the caliche even shows through, and the grass won't grow there. It drains well and gets full sun.

When spring rains are plentiful, the Bermuda sometimes grows tall before I can mow it, and it's actually pretty. I also have wild pink onions and other natives that grow in it, which add interest and color.

Since my neighbors don't live in their house, they are often delinquent in mowing, and there have been times their Bermuda became a lanky silver and was stunning.

Our neighborhood isn't the typical city neighborhood.

Long story short, if I didn't mow my lawn but once or twice a season, what would happen? (Besides getting a ticket from the city's code enforcement.)

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• kayjones
    13 years ago

The city will most likely send their mowing crew over to do the job, charge you a huge fee AND give you a code violation citation. Why not just hire someone with a riding mower to do it?

• castorp
    13 years ago

You could try keeping a neatly mowed path through the grass and letting the rest grow long, or a keeping a sitting area close-clipped while the rest grows long. You could experiment until you find the path/pattern you like.

Besides being practical, keeping manicured areas signals to anyone who sees the house that the long grass is intentional and meant to be admired, not a sign of neglect.

A well-chosen sculpture, a birdbath, a sundial, or some such thing set out in the long grass can also increase the sense of purpose.

Bill

• Redthistle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Bill, I might try a mowed path.

My husband used to mow it, but he passed away a few years ago.

Kay, I have hired someone in the past to mow JUST the front yard, but they charge $120-150.00 every two-three weeks, and I can't afford that. I mow the back as well, which takes the same amount of time, but I can get away with letting it grow a bit longer. :-)