Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeneastcolo

Help w/ changing 3 acres of native grass/weeds to buffalo grass

jeneastcolo
14 years ago

My husband and I just purchased a 3 acre lot in eastern colorado, elevation 4100 feet. It currently is covered with native grasses and weeds, which we worked hard at mowing to a manageable level last summer, and kept it short. We were hoping any natural buffalo grass would start to thicken and take over. However, it looks like whatever grass is there would be too prickly and not thick enough for the cover we were hoping for.

We want something that requires no additional water, can withstand the hot, windy summers and is soft for feet. We are planning a 150 tree windbreak that will surround the property, as well as a lane of winter king hawthornes down the driveway. This will be happening in early spring. There will be a few trees scattered throughout the property as well, in the next few years. Most of the lot will be in full sun, at least for quite a few years, until the trees reach full maturity.

It seems as though other area farms are filled with what I always thought was buffalo grass, a short carpet like grass that is not nearly as deep green as blue grass, requires little to no water, and when it is allowed to get to mature height, gets 5-8" tall with the seeding. I thought this is what we wanted, but in my searches, have found the pictures of buffalo grass to be much greener, and look much more like a lawn. Anyway, I am first wondering what would be a good grass, and second wondering what are the steps we need to follow in order to plant this grass on this large of an area.

Also am curious about spraying the lot for weed control...how long after you plant can you spray, and how early in the season can we plant. It would be easier to plant the empty lot before we plant the trees, but we have to take delivery of the trees before May 1st. Will this work or not?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Comments (6)

• asters
    14 years ago

The concept of taking 3 acres of diverse plants and changing it into a barren "lawn" seems flawed from the get go. Why move to the country in the first place? The first step is to find a knowledgeable local person to look at what's there and help you manage it. In 3 acres I've no doubt you will find some gems. You might read Sara Stein's classic "Noah's Garden," especially the first chapter "Unbecoming a Gardener."

Here is a link that might be useful: noah's garden on amazon site

• ronkw
    14 years ago

It's so important that you work with/expand on the native growth. Cast out your biases/preconceived notion of how "the yard" should look.
    Talk to local "native" gardeners. Learn of any alien species that may be on your land and get rid of them first.

Your local native vegetation has evolved over the millennium and is there now for good reason. Work with, expand and build on it. You and your land will be much happier with the results. Ideally, you will allow the native grasses,flowers,shrubs to volunteer.

• jeneastcolo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I must not have been very clear. Buffalo grass is a native grass in my area. It is mixed in with other grasses in pastures and prairie throughout the natural landscape. As our lot currently stands, the weeds (mostly tumbleweeds) have taken over any good prairie grass that is there. We are not planting the 3 acres to lawn, we are planting buffalo grass, which is something we can keep maintained, is native and does not need watered. We are planting over 150 trees and shrubs and plan on introducing a variety of planting beds throughout the property with native wildflowers and ornamental grasses. I feel like we are improving our landscape in a very responsible way and am simply asking for help doing this correctly.

Our lot is across from a golf course and although it is in the country (our lot backs a pasture for grazing cattle and circle of corn) it does have to have the look of a manicured area. I frankly feel that people in this area are very good at removing invasive, although "native" weeds that cause a nuisance not only in the way the look but in the amount of water they suck from the ground, and therefore taking over the native grasses. People here plant buffalo grass, keep it mowed and don't water it, which is what we would like to do.
    Thank you all for your help.

• ronkw
    14 years ago

I stumbled across this article, you should find it helpful, I think.

"Although it is adapted to a variety of soils, buffalograss prefers heavier soils, and does not thrive in sandy soil. It is most productive in rich, well-drained clay and loam soil, but also grows well in rocky limestone soil."

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Lawns: Buffalograss

• jeneastcolo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks ronkw,
    That article was very helpful. I think we just found someone who has a small drill that he uses to drill buffalo grass seed into large areas. I think we have decided to work on weed control this year and get the trees planted. As soon as the house is finished being built, we will have him drill the seed and hopefully get it established quickly. Now to decide the variety to plant. There are a lot of promising new varieties that will offer green a little longer in the season, as well as a deeper green color. I think this paired with wildflowers and grasses will make our land and house blend in with the pasture landscape, and make it look like it has been there all along. Oh, and lucky for us we do have pretty good clay and loam soil here, so we should be good!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I'm glad you're trying to control the weeds, etc. on your three acres. There are many people in Eastern Washington who buy a little land, mow the front yard and let the rest go to seed...literally! Those "native" weeds then go on to reseed (many are invasive and considered noxious weeds by the county) and get into farmland. We do not farm anymore, but we do have horses. Again, some of these weeds can pose a threat, especially if they get into the hay fields.

I hope your buffalo grass does well and you enjoy your new home! :)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES