Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can someone name this flower for me?

Posted by BlueMoonRose none (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 22:00

I would like to know what the plant in the picture is please. I dug it up nearby (zone 8b) and would like to know more about it

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc273/rawrosy/themysteryflower_zps6fce2612.jpg for those who cannot see the attached image

it seems to be be able to survive heat, temperature that drop to about the 40s, shade, sunlight, and drought. It has a small root system. It also survives transplanting well. This one isn't vigorous, but I'm not sure if that is a species thing, or because it has had to endure so much already.
The flower has a horn-type apendage behind it and is connected to the rest of the plant by a way I didn't very well capture in the image. The way is not by the horn structure.
The plant was originally found in a shady, dry and somewhat sandy area that was mostly protected from wind. I moved it into my greenhouse where it was kept in moist, dark soil (it may or may not be very rich) and tempertures that fluxuated between 90 and 40 degrees (seasons change)
I'm sorry if i missed any important details.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can someone name this flower for me?

Answered on several other forums. Impatiens balsamina. Not an American native.

o

def. balsam impatients.

o

the seed pods are great fun. They start green, football shaped. They start to dry out and turn a little yellow. If you gently squeeze one they spring open and seeds fly everywhere (or you catch in your hand). Save the seeds in an envelope and you have many to grow the next year. Should reseed itself, but I always save some. In my neck of the woods they're called Balsams, but most call them impatiens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here