Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trumpet Vine baby help

Posted by penny1947 z5 westernNY (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 11, 04 at 6:41

I took a tiny soft woood cutting from a trumpet vine last spring. After keeping it in water for a while until it started to put out tiny roots, I planted it in a pot. It was doing very well until recently. It has developed a nice root system but now all the new growth is drying up and falling off. It has yet to be transplanted outdoors as it was still too young to plant at the end of the summer and on the advice of a garden center employee I was keeping it inside until our weather here in western NY warmed up. I really hate to lose this plant now since I have babied it all spring, summer, fall and winter. It is only about 6 inches tall and it is in an east facing window.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trumpet Vine baby help

Is it too wet or too dry? If neither, you may need to look at the roots. Sometimes when you root in water, the new roots are "water roots" and don't like soil.

o
RE: Trumpet Vine baby help

VBain,
THank you for your response. THe soil may have gotten a bit dry. I don't think the the roots were the problem though because it was doing quite well until just recently. Possibly too dry inside which was causing it to dry out too much. I did give it a real good soaking and moved it to a southern exposure. Hopefully I can keep it going until it warms up enough here to get it transplanted outside.
Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here