sallym_gw

Your opinion on echinacea vs. echinacea

sallym
19 years ago

Which do you prefer and why?

echinacea rubinstern

or

echinacea purpurea

I'm in Minnesota, Zone 4 and am planting a *small* prairie-type garden with other flowers and ornamental grasses.

TIA,

Sally

Comments (18)

• ahughes798
    19 years ago

I prefer...to get rid of them, LOL! I have tons of e. purpurea...these things are what they call promiscuous. I have never heard of the rubinstern. Is it a species, or a cultivar? I will go google it right now! April.

• ahughes798
    19 years ago

Ok..I have googled. Rubinstern is a cultivar, and the petals are less drooping than in the species, e. purpurea.

Since I'm into native plants, I would prefer E. Purpurea(species) over E. Purpurea Rubinstern(cultivar). Since I'm trying to make my prairie less of a monoculture of echinacea...I'm into giving the stuff away!

It really depends on what kind of gardening you prefer, whether one or the other would work better for you. I feel they would both work for you.

all I know is that they love life, and reproduce gaily and abundantly! LOL! April

• joepyeweed
    19 years ago

e. purperea is the poster child of native wildflowers. i like it. i dont have a problem with it being aggressive because of the soil that i have.

i am not familiar with the cultivars so i cannot comment on it -

• ernestm
    19 years ago

I planted three Ruby Star (Rubinstern) last spring. I got them from Bluestone so they were small but they grew fast and each produced flowers. The color of the flowers is a deeper and richer color than the purpurea. The petals are held out more horizontally and overall I would say I prefer it to the species although purpurea has plenty going for it as well.

• ahughes798
    19 years ago

My Pupurea seemed to have evolved some differences all on their own...some of them have maroon stems, and darker flowers, and some of them have green stems, and lighter flowers.

They are great clay-busting plants, I must say! They will grow where nothing else will. But since I don't have clay...they run rampant, and sometimes I must trim the herd. April

• dbarron
    19 years ago

I bet it's a beautiful site in mid summer, April ? :)

• sallym
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you everyone! Appreciate your thoughts.
    Sally

• ahughes798
    19 years ago

dbarron,

Yes, it's very pretty...but it's all one thing!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Vera_EWASH
    19 years ago

I believe E. angustifolia is native to MN

Vera

• sallym
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks. I'll check into E. augustifolia as well. Nice pic ahughes798!!
    Sally

• Vera_EWASH
    19 years ago

Wow April! I woudn't mind a corner of all that purple!! I LOVE purple..cant wait to see mine :)

Vera

• ahughes798
    19 years ago

Want some of it? LOL! April

• skatayama
    19 years ago

I loved that butterfly in the middle of all that purple.
    Sheila

• ahughes798
    19 years ago

Me too! My idea is not to kick him out of house and home, but to expand...so that other types of butterflies and insects can live there, too! I plant parsley for tiger swallowtail caterpillars.

• froggy
    19 years ago

i believe that E. pallida is the only native Echinacea to MN.

froggy

• Vera_EWASH
    19 years ago

Seems E. angustifolia is native to MN....this following page has some info. Folks living in MN,ND and SD can get free seed...more info at the site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Echinacea

• echinaceamaniac
    16 years ago

I think Pallida is very beautiful. In fact, it puts all the other coneflowers to shame. The blooms are much bigger. It's more difficult to grow, but they are so distinctive.

• fossilbob
    16 years ago

E. pallida is more of a prairie plant...hot, dry, sun. E. purpurea is more of a prairie\woodland edge plant. Something to keep in mind when planting.

Sponsored