Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have meadow sod in need of repair advice

Posted by crazychihuahuas Bay Area Hills zone (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 6, 06 at 11:15

I have a large patch of meadow sod (tall, floppy, thick, no mow grass) planted on an incline that had a large amount of die-off initially and has since been damaged over the year from gophers and weeds. I planted the sod over chicken wire to keep the gophers out but now I see the holes were too big and the little gophers got through as well as some really big weeds with long tap roots. I want to repair and replace the damaged areas and am looking for advice on the care and feeding of this type of grass given my little problems...thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have meadow sod in need of repair advice

I fell kind of bad that no one has answered this question.

meadow sod (tall, floppy, thick, no mow grass)? - Can I assume that is a mix of fine fescues - similar to what is sold by Prairie Nursery? Either way it probably doesn't change my answer much.

I would probably mow it high once in awhile to keep the taller weeds from going to seed. And I might spot clip, hand pull or apply spot application of herbicide to large weeds.

I have seeded over chicken wire to keep dogs from digging. But its kind of a pain if you ever need to work or dig in that area in the future. And of course, chicken wire is not going to do anything to prevent moles or gophers.

The mole and gopher trails are not really a problem once the sod gets established. Its natures natural aeration system.

In areas that have died off, I would probably mow short and overseed with the same mix.

For future reference, when trying to hold seed on a slope, I would probably use a double net straw blanket (photodegradable) to hold the seed and soil for a year, similar to a North American Green SC150.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here