Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

New Forum Member - my Prairie Meadow

Annie
18 years ago

Hi,

Thought I would post this about my Prairie Meadow as an intro so you know a bit about my situation.

I live in Central Oklahoma, but high on a sandstone ridge that is south facing. I have 2 square acres where Prairie changes to timber country. It is called "Cross Timbers".

I am trying sustain an acre of native prairie meadow up the ridge above my house. It is like a meadow island in the middle of cow pastures and wheat fields all around my property. I am sure the farmers wish I would move away - the local feed store owner said they didn't like people coming in to their area with their funny California ideas and ways of doing things. I asked him if he meant me. He stared hard at the ground and shuffled his feet and grinned. (LOL)

This land was once part of the area that was contoured back in the 1930s to save it from wind and rain erosion caused by years of poor farming practices. The contours still exist and creates four terraces down and across that acre above my house. There are four more across the one acre where my house and gardens are situated.

There is a large hardwood and cedar wooded area on the southern boundary of the meadow at the top of the ridge. There are resident Marsh Hawks that nest there. A dry creek (wash) cuts through there and meanders down (west) and then curves sharply back northeast before exiting my property to the west. It is fed by the overflow from a small pond higher up on the ridge on neighboring property to the east. Just southwest of the meadow farther down the ridge is a smaller wooded area that borders my back yard. Wild Sand Plums grow along the dry creek bank at its edge. I named this area "Plum Creek" in honor of Laura Ingalls Wilder's book, "On the Banks of Plum Creek".

All the land around mine is cultivated and run with livestock. They spray with herbicides and fertilizers and pesticides, and only God knows what else. They plow up the native grasses that could better sustain their cattle if they would just wise up to it. The once beautiful wildflowers that set the whole ridge in a blaze of rainbow colors each May are now all gone. Miles of Scarlet Indian Paintbrush, Fleabane, Queen Anne's Lace, Black-eyed Susans, yellow and white clovers, False Indigo, wild Yarrow with some lilac colors. There were wild Prairie roses (tiny little ground hugging roses) and Prairie Mallows. There was a plant I call Purple Mist flower, and all kinds of little daisy-like flowers and dandelions. There was brilliant orange Butterfly weed, and several varieties of Milkweed and tall purple Ironweed and other bonesets. There were pink and magenta Prairie Gentians & Gilias, Blue-eyed grass, wild nodding onions, wild larkspurs, pink Evening Primroses and purple Pea flowers, and dainty purple Vetch. There were tall yellow spires of Moth Mullein and many species of prairie sunflowers, plus all the native grasses - I have counted more than 8 kinds so far. There used to be Pale Purple Coneflowers, Gaillardia Pulchella (Firewheels), Culver's Root, Spider Lilies, Yellow Prairie Gaillardias, Baby Blue Eyes, Blue Sage, and Blazing Star Liatris. There were Oklahoma Dewberries (blackberries), Prairie cactus and chollas and much, much more.

Unfortunately for me, that herbicide washed down the hill and onto my property as well, and you guessed it- all my wildflowers were killed off too and a good many of my herbs in my herb garden at the foot of the meadow.(Grrrrr) Rains carried the herbicides down through my dry creek, nature's design to carry the run-off flood waters, and killed the Sand Plum thickets. Thankfully, the clever cottontail rabbits ate the plums and replanted a new thicket further up on the ridge around the entrance of their rabbit burrow, and we now share the luscious fruit in the summer (wink).

The little creek is a natural dry creek bed, created by run-off rainwater in wet years, but on one end I dug it deeper to prevent the whitewater I was getting that riped down through my yard with heavy Spring rains. I built a simple foot bridge over it for me and the lawnmower tractor. I would like to build a small native red rock arroyo in the middle for the wildlife to get water year round.

I may need to get the help from the state wildlife & forestry services. It has become a much bigger project that it was in the beginning. I am having to reseed the meadow with wildflowers. I go out and collect local wildflowers when I find them and look for them on the Seed Exchange forum. The native grasses are fine, but I am now having a problem with invasive Heath Aster that is taking over the entire lower half of the meadow. I have to get rid of. It leaves no room for wildflowers to grow, and as pretty as it is, it has to go. It is very scatchy and claws your skin when you walk through it, esp in the fall. I will keep a few plants and try to contain them.

~SweetAnnie4u

Comments (7)

• Annie
    Original Author
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

White Heath Aster
    (Symphyotrichum ericoides (L.)

{{gwi:1155773}}
    There are two colorations of it in my meadow; one white and the other with a pinkish tint.

It is a tall woody shrub. Grows 4-5 ft tall. In winter it goes dormant and the stiff woody branches are very scratchy and can bring blood. The pioneers used the branches to make brooms for sweeping out their sod houses, called "soddies". To give you an idea of what the branches look like when dormant, the brooms looked like a witches brooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is the White Heath Aster that is invading my meadow

• ahughes798
    18 years ago

Your neighbors have the right to manage their property the way they want...they don't have the right to manage your property.

I'm sorry your neighbors are so ignorant of land management priciples. Perhaps you could have a word with them? Your little prairie sounded wonderful, and, with any luck and some more seed, it will re-sprout.

I've got all kinds of seed if you need it. Not acre's worth, but a start.

I HATE Heath Aster! GAK!

• Annie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ahughes798,

I looked at your seed list of natives. Impressive. (like your humour, too)
    I have some Coreopsis tinctoria (not bought - harvested off wildflowers found growing on my property). I have lots of sunny yellow Helenium (Sneezeweed), lots of Thoroughwort, 'White Boneset', Native Bee Balm, Inland Sea Oats (likes growing in part-shade), Oklahoma Yucca, 'Adam's Needles', and native white yarrow, & White Prickly poppy (naturalized plant originally from Mexico); Sacred Thistle (Bull thistle) and some Illinois Bundleflower, and stately Flannel-leaf Mullein. I have beautiful white-flowering Penstemon, Prairie Gentians and I think I have Silene Regia.

Most of these grow on my property. The rest grow near here, within a mile or two. I try to get only the real deal - the true natives. I recently got some wildflower seed from a person in Wisconsin.
    Would love to have some of your Baptisia, the lovely Boltonia asteroides; any Liatris you have, the Turtlehead seed (yes, yes), and Compass plant (it grows about 10 miles from here alongside the highway, but no place there to pull off.) Really cool looking leaves pop up overnight in spring.

Any seed you would like to share or trade is much appreciated. Beats hiking through chigger infested weeds and poison ivy and picking up ticks, and ever so much more fun (although not as exciting) than stepping on Copperheads, any day!

Thanks for your imput!
    SweetAnnie4u

• myoneandonly
    18 years ago

Your property sounds like paradise. My husband and I have 10 acres in Central Virginia. We are about to start building our home on it. It used to be a cow pasture, but is now used for grass for feeding the cattle. I really want the kind of meadow you describe. You sound very knowledgable about your land's history and your environment and about wildflowers as well.I hope I meet someone like you here who is interested in being a good steward of her land. I understand when you say your neighbors may not appreciate your "funny California" ways and ideas. Where I live, the area has become densely developed in one particular area. While this area provides major income and employment for locals, there is a love/hate relationship as the area becomes less rural. I spoke to a woman in the little town who says she definitely feels like an outsider after living there for six years. On the other hand, several local people have chatted me up at the post office. They were curious as to who we were and where we came from, but quite friendly. One gentleman told me he lives "down in the holler". I almost asked him, "where's that?", but I didn't want to seem ignorant, but I keep looking around so I'll know the holler when I see it. All good wishes to you. Please post as many pictures as possible, as you will be an inspiration to me and others.

• woodster
    18 years ago

Just some food for thought. Why does it seem that so many of us have little islands of paradise surounded by people who just don't get it? What if a few hundred of us were neighbors.... what would that be like? If we were neighbors I would be thrilled to see your prairie! I would also help you build a grass waterway through your property to chanel the water through with less damage to the prairie plants. I have been dealing with farm runoff for years now. I found its best to just send the water on its way. Don't give up on your prairie or your neighbors, just try to put things in favor of the prairie.

I am purchassing a parcel of land next mine just to dig up tile lines (from my land). Then I'll build a berm to keep farm runoff out of my wetlands and hold the clean water there. The local people think I'm nuts for spending time and money just for nature. But the wildlife I have now is priceless.

• gardeners_hands
    18 years ago

good morning sweetannie, yes, it does sound like paradise to me too - and I would be honored if I were your neighbor to come over and work for free and learn all I could
    Sigh, that is not to be.

You know what is said about Paradise; "they took paradise and put up a parking lot." Of course your neighbors have a right to manage their property, but there may be regulations in your area on impact to surrounding land, check into that.

I bought my little semi-rural plot in a teeny-tiny town a year and a half ago. It is sloped, and right at the highest edge are 4 evergreens. They are planted too close to each other... but they were mine, I wouldn't dream of cutting down 4 mature trees unless there were a pressing and logical reason. Well, two had quite a few brown tips and within a year ALL FOUR were dead as the proverbial doornail.
    I had an expert in to look at them, no - not borers - somebody has poisoned them. He said "someone has poisoned them, likely with copper." I look to the houses on higher ground and try to figure who may have wanted them gone, and who should PAY FOR THEIR REMOVAL, and there are no answers. I've tried posting them as free wood on CraigsList, posted on local bulletin boards, called tree services, etc.

I haven't even 1/100th of the land you have, but as I said - it's MINE and I love it desperately already. I have my tiny meadow out back which slopes from my four huge dead brown trees gently down to the house. I've seeded with Crimson Clover, cone flower, and fifteen other wildflowers and I'd seeing tiny results. The neighbors, of course, seem to hate it. They were used to parking two cars on the top edge of it. Pfui. The only one who actually said anything is the house directly across the alley from me. Four dead trees stand between he and I. Ever since he (lightly) complained I have looked at him and wondered, how much did four tall trees and a neglected patch of meadow annoy him? Hmmm?
    GH-

• Flowerkitty
    18 years ago

"Hollow is term, pronounced "Holler" primarily used in Appalachia, for an area between two hills or mountains--similar to a valley-- that often is accompanied by a stream. Family clusters often develop in this holler"
    ----
    Think of it this way - maybe you are surrounding them. I have some neighbors who are real country folk and they are easier to get along with than the newbies who like paving everything over and erasing all the wild parts.

My one neighbor, a great old guy from the hills, invited me into his huge vegetable garden. He had weeds knee high around the plants. I joked and told him the city inspector will get him for those weeds and he was taken back. He asked how could we grow a garden without weeds? He didn't have a need to spray, or hoe down to bare soil. He came from a background where you planted to live, and you didnt break your back weeding the tomatoes.

Farmers have a problem in they need to produce a whole lot to make what non farmers make sitting at a desk. They get sucked in and it's hard to break away. They fear any changes that might cut their income flow and property tax money. Who wouldn't. The real way to change the farmers, is to change the demand for their goods. When enough people demand organic only, those same farmers will jump right on the band wagon.

It's a battle but try to think kind thoughts of your neighbors. It may take years but you may convert them one day and that would be a gift for all. The worse thing is to come in fighting. Got to admit though, I wish my herbicide nut neighbor would move. He has killed part of my drainage ditch into a toxic black swamp with his insane spraying. But insane is the word so I just watch and wait. I figure cancer will get him soon if nothing else as he lives to spray.

I know how lovely that ditch could be without him. The part up from him is like a slow moving stream, full of life, with birds flying down to drink.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville