Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhl1654

Queen Anne's Lace

jhl1654
23 years ago

Does anyone sell Daucus carpta seeds or plants?

Comments (30)

• Molly A Varboncoeur
    23 years ago

Don't bother, Pretty, yes! Raging alien invader once you turn it loose! Seeds stay dormant in soil for years.

• sunnie
    23 years ago

Been trying to find seeds for Queen Anne's Lace...don't know if it will grow in zone 9/10...very hot and dry.....but haven't heard anything good about growing it!! Must really be an invader!

• Kalemaster
    23 years ago

I've been trying to get rid of the queen anne's lace in my backyard for... 15 years? Still have a few hundred of them. I don't want to give anybody else this problem.

• sally2_gw
    23 years ago

I gathered some seeds from a field of queen anne's lace a few years ago, and scattered them in my back yard. I'd heard they were a great flower to attract beneficials, but hadn't heard they were not native, and a serious pest. Boy, have I been sorry I did that! Now I pull them up as soon as I see them, but there's soooooo many of them!

Sally

• Betty
    23 years ago

Oh my, what have I done? I thought they looked so pretty mixed in with flower arrangements that I tried to transplant the roots of some I gathered at my daughter's farm that now I am afraid they will flower and plague me like the writers above. Tell me that roots won't take!! Quick! I don't know if I would recognize them should they come up this year. I just put them out last fall. Please advise.

• apcohrs
    23 years ago

For a plant that spreads like the devil from seed, Queen Anne's Lace is actually fairly difficult to transplant due to its taproot. And if you transplanted the root of a FLOWERING QAL, the transplant is not likely to live since the plant is usually bienniel and usually dies after flowering and setting seed.

The spring leaves look like carrot plants (no surprise, since that's what they actually are). Watch for carrot leaves to come up. If you can't ID them and they actually do return, you'll know when they bloom. Then either dig the plant up then and there or pick ALL the blossoms for bouquets and DON'T let it go to seed. End of problem.

• mrstevenson
    23 years ago

Thanks for the warning. I try to keep mine in check as dried flowers.

• Mike Beall
    22 years ago

Ditto, Sally2 above. Before I knew the difference, I too, planted QAL, now grubbing it out b4 it takes over. I suppose if you like it (as I do) you could plant a "controllable" patch away from your prairie plantings...Hmmm?

• Paula in the Garden Spot
    22 years ago

I have an enormous plant growing in my garden that I think is a form of QAL. It's about 5'tall and looks like carrot foliage. It just appeared. Should I pull it out? On the perennial forum somebody suggested it might be a form of QAL called hogweed or pigweed. I couldn't find any information about it anywhere, so I don't know for sure what it is.

• Jon Shay
    22 years ago

Another alternative to consider is Golden Alexander,
    (Zizia aptera)which is blooming right now in Zone 5.
    Its flowers are similar to Queen Anne's Lace but are
    yellow- and they have the added benefit of offering
    food to the larvae of the Missouri Woodland Swallowtail,
    which is a beautiful iridescent black butterfly with
    yellow and purple spots along the edges of its wings.
    Give it a try!

• Cmore Green
    22 years ago

Also wanted to issue a warning about another similar lacey-leafed, white lacey-flowered INVASIVE re-seeder... Poison Hemlock. Do your research BEFORE you bring it home(like I did). I got rid of it(I think), but forewarned is forearmed.

• rayallen
    22 years ago

Wow! Have never seen such wild reactions over beautiful Queen Anne's Lace. Yes, it's certainly very quick to seed and spread, but if you've planted it, or have it, don't panic. Just mow it, or cut it, and after a couple of years, it'll all be gone...biennials live only 2 years. Relax! It's everywhere, and not going away!
    Re: Poison Hemlock. This is another story. This one, which looks like QAL, and its close relative, Water Hemlock, which also looks like QAL or dill...are two of the champions of North America's Poison Plant list. These species, along with Indian Poke and a few others, don't just make you sick, or make you break out in a rash; they kill you. (QAL is not poisonous.) Poison Hemlock is the one they gave Socrates! These two hemlocks are common in (usually) wet woodland, and bloom in late spring or early summer...don't even touch! They're rangy tall plants with more wide open flowerheads that QAL, but similar in looks. Our poison center here tells me chewing a seed or a full leaf of Water Hemlock can kill you. And two leaves will kill a cow. Don't go near ANYTHING that looks anything like QAL in shady woods in summer. If you want QAL, stick to the wide open, sunny hot roadsides, and you can't miss it!

• debra rappold
    22 years ago

I have noticed that many biennaials last more than two years when you remove the seed heads. Some will become stronger with the removal of the seed heads. After removing the seed heads of Queen Annes lace for many years without sucsess I have resorted to round up dabbed on the stems after removing the seed head. Can't wait to get rid of this crummy weed in my prairie. I will enjoy it in the ditches but not in my yard.

• candyaj
    21 years ago

I know it sounds crazy!!! But I would really like to hae some Queen Anne's Lace seed. I am a native of NJ, and now live in SC, we do not have any QAL here. I use the QAL for
    craft projects.

Is anyone out there willing to send some seed or a plant or two. Will pay for all postage-freight!
    Candyaj

• plantlust
    21 years ago

I've got a nice relative of QAL. Called Cow Parsnip (Heracleum maximum) it's like QAL on steroids. Per Young,
    "-uncommon- on shady floodplains and wet woodland pockets. It is slightly smaller than Angelica, with tiny, white hairs on its structures, dark green foliage, and larger, more compact umbels which also bloom through June. It is a robust, (Hercules) bold element in the landscape." He rates it a (5). In my yard, the plant is over 5ft and the flower heads are the size of a human head. Mine are planted on the edge of my recreated woodland. Does have a tendency to seed itself(but I think it's a function of my good soil).

Great Angelica (Angelica atropurpurea) is also a nice plant for a *robust* element in the landscape. The flowers are a bit more rounded than the Cow Parsnip but not as large.

• parkaveultra
    21 years ago

is queen anne's lace fussy for the type of conditions it requires?

• bmunroz
    20 years ago

If anyone has Queen Anne's Lace seed - I'll pay postage for you to send it to me. I live in South Carolina. Thanks Catzr4me@aol.com

• parkaveultra
    20 years ago

anyone had success drying this beauty? I would like to use it in crafts.
    'Thanks

• enchantedplace
    20 years ago

from forum. Dried Queen Anne's lace stays beautiful through the winter. We have not found it to be invasive.

Here is a link that might be useful: drying procedure

• gardendeb
    20 years ago

A quick Google search pulled up this link for seed sales:

www.sandmountainherbs.com

• mary_rockland
    20 years ago

Many plants are invasive if they are in their favorite conditions. As my soil is claybased there are certain flowers or wildflowers that will always be difficult to grow or poor growers. All those lovely plants that want a well drained sandy soil (dianthus, aubretia, even corepsis) sulk for me.

Is it my imagination or is Queen Anne's lace one of those preferring well drained sandy soil? I've noticed it do best in roadsides above sandy soil. If so, those of us with claylike or not well drained soil shouldn't have the same invasion problems.

• apcohrs
    20 years ago

QA will grow ANYWHERE. My solid clay was covered with the stuff when I bought my place. Took 10 years to be reasonably free of the stuff, but I'll never be completely rid of it.

• Reverend_Jasen
    19 years ago

Even after mowing and tilling, I had QAL shoots reappearing 2 weeks later. Also clay-based soil. I am assuming that the chopped up taproots that got tilled simply re-sprouted.
    I was amazed.
    I have been successful removing it from one small area, by tediously plucking every shoot and it's complete taproot, then going over the area again a couple weeks later to get the sprouts/roots I missed after they reappear. Not exactly a fun procedure, but it seems to have worked.

• lycopus
    19 years ago

Mowing and tilling only encourages it. That is true of most plants that thrive in ruderal areas.

• froggy
    19 years ago

instead of me sending u QAL seeds, if u pay me 100$, ill let u pick all the seed u want.

on second thought, 50$ will be fine...

froggy

• LauraZone5
    19 years ago

Well, now I have something to check into as what was growing in my marsh I assumed to be Daucus carota. Now I really wonder if I don't have Conium maculatum as it is all looking the exact same to me. Thank you to rayallen as I also assumed what was growing in my woodlands was QAL and it may in fact be Poison Hemlock.

I knew QAL was not a native and had European origins so I have been getting rid of as much of it as I can as it sure did take over here in a very short period of time. I hand pulled the crap which may not have been the best idea. I was wearing gloves and tossed it directly into a garbage can. Lycopus, what is the best way for me to get rid of whatever I have here? All of what I have been trying to yank has that hideously long tap root like Burdock that breaks off at ground level.

• lycopus
    19 years ago

Most plants in the carrot family have long taproots. It is very unlikely that you have poison hemlock growing on your property since it is uncommon in our area and there is no record of it being found growing in this county. Got any pictures of the plant in question?

• LauraZone5
    19 years ago

Oh I am quite sure I can come up with quite a few this weekend if it would stop raining for a bit. No shortage over here!

• finchelover
    12 years ago

What a pest. I have it now all in my flower beds. I thought I had it all out last year Ha! I think it tripled and several weeks ago I got down in the back and I really have a mess now. My rose garden is just loaded with it,It probably will take all summer to get it out before it goes to seed. I am 80 and at point I just want to plow the areas all out and spray everything. I hate

Sponsored