Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer and wildflowers...

Posted by bjacket zone 6 Mid Tn (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 4, 06 at 7:55

I have seeded about 15,000 sq.ft. in the back of my property over the winter with a mixture of native grasses and wildflowers.The seed mixture was mixed with clay & sand and rolled into balls as I felt this would minimize erosion and seed loss to birds/squirrels/etc. For the first time in my 8 years at this home, I have had deer ( a small herd of 6) on the property (starting late last fall). As luck would have it, where they enter and leave is at the same spot the seedballs are sown. My questions are...will the deer impact the success of my project? What, if anything, can or should I do about this issue? These deer are pretty accustomed to seeing people apparantly as I can usually approach within 50-60 yards before they run off.Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer and wildflowers...

I love your idea of making little balls of soil, sand and seed. I read an article in Cottage Living Magazine that suggested putting seeds in a baloon, then lobbing the baloons at the site to create pockets of wildflowers that will hopefully fill in eventually, and picking up the spent baloons afterward. It sounds like a great way to get kids or your husband involved, because it sounds like great fun. Your idea, however, seems more practical. I cannot answer regarding the deer, but it seems they leave my coneflowers, poppies, etc. alone in favor of browsing on young fruit trees. For the first time I saw where they had rubbed against a young tree. There certainly are plenty around here in Central Virginia. I see so many on the side of the road, sadly as many dead as alive.

o
RE: Deer and wildflowers...

Thanks for the reply...I must say that the idea for making the seed balls was not my own. I found out, through much research on the net, that it is not uncommon and did address my biggest concern, which was seed erosion. The location is somewhat sloped. I am crossing my fingers as I have spent time (site preparation and making seedballs) and $$ ( I purchased high quality seed) and DO NOT want a fancy "salad bar" for the deer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here