Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_nebr

Native grass interseeding

Jim_Nebr
18 years ago

I have a 2 1/2 acre meadow that was sown in May of 2003 and is doing quite well. I put in a mixture of appx. 50 species of native forbs, most seeds were obtained from commercial seed sources, with some from local roadsides and pastures. I also added some native grasses to the mix, little bluestem and Canadian wild rye that were obtained commercially while the big bluestem, Indian grass, and prairie cord grass were obtained locally. The forbs are doing wonderfully, and the little bluestem really made its appearance last year. I did a full burn last year and will be doing a full burn this year.

My dilemma is this  the Canadian wild rye has done a little too well with a plant every three feet or so, and I would like to see less of it and more big bluestem and Indian grass in the meadow. I had maybe a dozen Indian grass plants last year, and about two or three dozen big bluestem plants. IÂm wondering if there was poor germination from the locally obtained grass seed. I had about 15 gallons of local grass seed (big blue and Indian) that was sown and I would think there would be more plants making their appearance by now. I have not seen any prairie cord grass at all.

Will the Canadian wild rye fade away as I would like, or will it continue to dominate? IÂve been thinking about buying some commercially grown big bluestem and Indian grass and seeding it into the meadow right after my burn this spring. Would this be a good idea or am I just being impatient? Are there other grass species which should be added to the mix?

All in all, I am very pleased with how the meadow has turned out. ItÂs a joy to wander through in the spring and summer, the scents from the forbs are intoxicating! IÂm looking forward to your advice.

Jim

Comments (5)

Sponsored