Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LBS 'Blaze'

Posted by Vera_EWASH z6 EasternWA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 28, 04 at 11:49

I did sow LBS with my forbs last fall, but now I'm wondering if it was the var. 'Blaze' or not. I guess when I ordered I wasn't aware there was such a var. out there. I thought they all turned great fall color?

I made my order thru Prairie Moon Nursery...has anyone ordered LBS from them and what fall color does it give?

Thanks for any answers,

Vera

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LBS 'Blaze'

The LBS you got from the nursery was not 'Blaze.' 'Blaze' is a certified cultivar, and the bag would have stated this. You got general run-of-the-field little bluestem.

But that's not so bad. Yes, virtualy all varieties of LBS turn russet hues in the fall. A great grass.

But you aren't likely to see much of anything until the third year. The grass spends two years growing roots. The stems and leaves remain rather obscure. So wait around. The grass should show up.

o

Thanks John,
Does 'Blaze' take as long as 3 years as well? What nursery carries it? I would like to sow some come fall.

Thankee Thankee

Vera

o

All of the commericial prairie seed suppliers carry it, including Stock Seeds in Nebraska, Sharp Bros. in MO. and Ohio Prairie Nursery, http://www.ohioprairienursery.com/

If you broadcast the seed, plant at a 10-15 lb(PLS) per acre rate.

Here is a link that might be useful: OHio Prairie Nursery

o

Prairie Moon didn't have it when I ordered last summer before last....but I'll check out the other's you mentioned.

Thanks
Vera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here