Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring or Fall burning?

Posted by Randy_Bach 4a Wi. (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 29, 04 at 11:59

I was thinking of burning my 6 acre prarie this spring but I see alot of birds nesting all ready so I'm going to hold off. Can I just wait and burn this fall say in late September or early October? Whats the difference in burning either in Spring or Fall? Is one better then the other? Thanks in advance for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring or Fall burning?

It may be a little late for spring burns, even in Wisconsin, but I'm pretty sure it is too early to worry much about ground nesting birds. Some of the sparrows, meadowlarks, bobolinks, etc., may be arriving by now (at least here in MO), but nesting will not really occur in earnest for another month or so, and eggs and nestlings for a while after that. And birds will re-nest if they are disturbed, especially so early in the nesting season.

The decision to burn in late winter/spring or late summer/fall depends on your site and your management goals. The conventional wisdom is that spring burns favor warm-season grasses and fall burns favor forbs, but I'm sure that is an over-simplification.

o

The thing about spring vs. fall burn favoring grasses or forbs should hold true if burns are carried out the same time of year over a period of years.

o

not too late in wisconsin to burn.

when the maple trees flower is too late. unless ur trying to do something specific...like kill out a specific cool season grass like canary reed grass. then i would burn even later than that general rule of thumb.

froggy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here