Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seedling density?

Posted by macfairman 10 N. CA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 12, 04 at 13:17

I'm redoing a small area as a meadow and in some places the wildflowers I seeded look like there was 100% germination. That would be great except the seedlings are very dense as a result!

I tried poking some out and transplanting them to areas without much growth, but this takes a while! Will there be problems if I let them grow with several seedings to a square inch or two? Should I really thin them?

CJ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seedling density?

Well Macfairman,its been 11 days. I guess no one knows.What have you decided to do?How are things progressing?

o

I did poke out some of the smaller ones in areas with a high density (figuring they have fewer roots already in the soil) and moved them around. There are still some big patches though! I'll collect seed and try to spread it better next year.

I suspect other folks have larger meadows -- mine is small so I can fuss over it. :)

CJ

o

One of the most awe inspiring meadows I have ever seen was 12'x6'.Absoultly flawless.Folks who think you need major sq. footing or acres are missing the point.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here