Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ID please.....

Posted by Vera_EWASH z5 EasternWA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 22, 04 at 17:26

I have no pic to post, but I seemed to have lost the list of wildflowers I sowed out last fall! I'm pretty sure what is coming up is one of the annuals, but not sure which.

The rosette is small, with thin grayish/green leaves that look like an upside down 'T' from center out, the older the leaf the cross on the "T" is lobed on each end. On some of the bigger ones there is a yellow flower-bud coming up through the center of the rosette. I pulled one up so view the roots which are very thin and 1 1/2 in long.

They are very very small no bigger than the bottom of a drinking glass!

Please tell me I prepped my ground as good as I thought I did and this is NOT a annual weed!! I've looked all around my property and don't see any thing else like it...fingers crossed!

Thanks for any help,

Vera

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ID please.....

Check out Wildseedfarms.com cataloge. They have pics of seedlings for every flower that they sell.

o

Thanks evruda...
I didn't see anything that resembled it except maybe the Bishops Flower (a non-native)....the leaves kinda look like this, except the bud is tiny and yellow not white like Bishops Flower.
I was looking in my Prairie Moon Nursery Catalog and think it may be Early Buttercup.

Vera

o

golden alexander?

o

Well I never identified the seedlings, but did a through walk around the nearby wheat field that runs right by my place across the dirt road...I'm positive this was a weed as I came upon bunches after we got some good rains!

I had been preparing the 12x60 section all summer up until I sowed in late fall...not one single weed sprouted then. So far this seems to be the only spring weed thus far...fingers crossed!

Vera

o

Seedlings ID'd

Pineapple Weed ...Matricaria matricarioides
Native of Western US and Eurasia.....smells of pineapple when crushed

and another:

Miner's Lettuce....Claytonia perfoliata....(early food of the Indians and settlers of the Rocky Mountains and Western US... in salads and cooked like greens....high vitamin C and was used as a preventive of scurvy.

o

Pineapple weed makes a nice tea.

o

That's what I read too....a nice tea :)

It's definately pineapple weed but I don't smell the pineapple.....does it get a stronger smell the older it gets in the season? I read it also is confused with wild chamomile (May Weed Chamomile) and Dog Fennel in the young foliage stage but it's not and the pineapple 'heads' distingquish what I have.

Vera

o

Not sure. I've only picked the plant in the summer when it is in bloom. The flowers will have a strong pinapple smell when crushed. This plant tends to grow in very poor soil, like in gravel along the sides of driveways and roads. It also shows up in lawns.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here