Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plateau herbicide for annual weed control

Posted by mwbeall IN5 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 15, 06 at 20:55

I just read an article at http://ipcm.wisc.edu/uw_weeds/extension/articles/prarplntcrp.htm on use of Imazapic (Plateau) an imidazolinone herbicide which can be applied PPI, PRE, EP or POST to control weeds in seedings of several prairie grass and forb species.
I have planted a plot this winter and am anticipating annual weed takeover when the ground warms up. Should I be concerned and what do you think about the treatment? Please give your best advice. MWB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plateau herbicide for annual weed control

here is my 2 cents worth...

first, annual weeds takeover ALL new plantings, thats the way momnature works. but the solution is right in the name, annual. mow so no seedheads form and ull never have a problem with them. infact, a local dnr guy calls annual weeds a nurse crop vs a prairie seeding in the correct soils. prairies are long distance runners vs annual sprinters, they will run outta gas sooner or later...

as to Plateau, im not convinced. i have a testplot that i drive by atleast 2-3 times a week. the area definately looks more 'grassy' 3 years into the program. im not convinced that Plateau is an answer and this test plot isnt helping the opinion.

imho, if its not a perennial, dont sweat it.

froggy

o
RE: Plateau herbicide for annual weed control

Thanks froggy! I'm much drier now (YOU sed don't sweat it ;~)!

o
RE: annual weed control follow-up

BTW: the annual weeds of which I speak are Whitlow grass (Daba verna), Gill-over-the-ground, and mouse-ear chick weed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here