Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Annual grassy weeds. Help!

Posted by macfairman 10 N. CA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 10, 06 at 22:44

I have a meadow in my front yard with CA native grasses, mostly tufted hairgrass but also purple needlegrass and some CA fescue. I have wildflowers that reseed each year and I collect seed from them as well.

I have had continual problems with Poa annua -- that pale green grass that goes to seed instantaneously and grows very low to the ground.

Next year I'm thinking about putting down corn gluten and just bailing on the wildflowers. They are so beautiful though! The bunch grasses have grown in well enough that even though I can raise many of the wildflowers from seeds (or from Annie's Annuals), it's really hard to plant them as large plants.

If I transplant seedlings that are pretty small, that might work. Would the CGM hurt them once they have a set of true leaves?

CJ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Annual grassy weeds. Help!

the CGM is supposed to keep seeds from germinating, so I would think that if you put in seedlings instead of seeds, the flowers should be okay. But I am not real familiar with using CGM. I have read alot about it, but never used it myself. You may want to ask someone on the organic gardening forum. There are probably more people there familiar with CGM.

How old is your native plantings? And how big is your planting?

Usually as the native planting ages and becomes more mature, annuals are less likely to be successful. However I do know that Poa is very hard to get rid of and I have heard alot of people on these forums complain about it. So you are not alone.

On small plantings, like a small yard, I have found that hand removal of weeds is the most effective thing that you can do. Of course its simply not practicle on anything with a bit of size to it....

Good luck with your planting... it sounds lovely.

And we always appreciate pictures :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here