Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

Backyard issues - Wet mesic or mesic rain garden?

zaphod42
13 years ago

Hello. First time on the prairie forum. I normally hang out on the rose and cottage garden forums, but I think you guys might be able to help me with this particular problem.

In the spring, a corner of my backyard becomes a swamp and/ or pond in areas. This overlaps a portion of my garden beds that we put in last year. We've only been in the house for five years and, up until the middle of last summer, it wasn't so bad. It would fill up during a big storm and then drain in a day or so. Last fall I threw in some False Indigo and Tickseed. Waiting to see if they survive the water this spring. Its a very wet spring here and the backyard pond is expanding. This year its filled up and drained out (mostly) three times so far and filling up again with the rain over the next 3-4 days. As we move into summer, it'll dry out for the most part.

I'm trying to find plants that will work back there. I was looking at those designated for wet mesic areas, but the designations seem to say that it requires a lot of moisture but cannot be submerged. I also found a listing for rain garden plants for mesic sites. Would this be what I need? Area is definitely submerged for periods of time. I've got mostly full sun which tapers to part shade in one small area.

Extremely grateful for any plant recommendations or other advice. Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored