Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backyard issues - Wet mesic or mesic rain garden?

Posted by zaphod42 SE WI 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 9:32

Hello. First time on the prairie forum. I normally hang out on the rose and cottage garden forums, but I think you guys might be able to help me with this particular problem.

In the spring, a corner of my backyard becomes a swamp and/ or pond in areas. This overlaps a portion of my garden beds that we put in last year. We've only been in the house for five years and, up until the middle of last summer, it wasn't so bad. It would fill up during a big storm and then drain in a day or so. Last fall I threw in some False Indigo and Tickseed. Waiting to see if they survive the water this spring. Its a very wet spring here and the backyard pond is expanding. This year its filled up and drained out (mostly) three times so far and filling up again with the rain over the next 3-4 days. As we move into summer, it'll dry out for the most part.

I'm trying to find plants that will work back there. I was looking at those designated for wet mesic areas, but the designations seem to say that it requires a lot of moisture but cannot be submerged. I also found a listing for rain garden plants for mesic sites. Would this be what I need? Area is definitely submerged for periods of time. I've got mostly full sun which tapers to part shade in one small area.

Extremely grateful for any plant recommendations or other advice. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backyard issues - Wet mesic or mesic rain garden?

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Mon, May 2, 11 at 19:15

Your yard sounds a lot like mine.

Here's a link to WI plants that may help.
http://www.wildflower.org/plants/combo.php?fromsearch=true&distribution=WI&habit=&duration=duration_perennial&moist_wet=1

o
RE: Backyard issues - Wet mesic or mesic rain garden?

I had a very wet corner and used pond liner to make a bog garden. It has worked out very well! I also put in a drainage pipe leading into the bog garden to catch the "higher" neighbor's yard runoff to keep water away from our house foundation. It's worked like a dream. The bog garden with bog plants (milkweed, joe pye weed, bee balm, and mint...) attracts lots of birds and butterflies! It's been a big success, and nearly maintenance free! Keep me posted!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here