Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siren_gw

Is this a Bladder Campion?

Siren
19 years ago

Last year, this strange plant appeared in my small patch of earth. For a while, I thought it was a bladder campion, but when I did actual internet research on the species, the descriptions doesn't match. The flower seems similar, but from what I understand, the actually Bladder Campion has smooth leaves. This plant is covered with small, soft hairs, giving it a slight velvet look. The flowers are similar, having the same bladder-like sac and tiny white petals, although the flowers of this mystery plant aren't as impressive. This link is why I though I had a bladder campion in my "yard":

http://www.butler-bremer.com/web/hmschult/pbcampion.html

Alas, like I've mentioned, it doesn't look anything like the other bladder campions I've found on the internet. I'm not sure if there are different species or a completely different genus that just looks similar. I have taken some photos of this plant today:

http://www.giant.net/~lum/pic001.jpg

http://www.giant.net/~lum/pic002.jpg

http://www.giant.net/~lum/pic003.jpg

there aren't any flowers on it, but the flowers look exactly like those on the first link I've posted.

Comments (8)

• froggy
    19 years ago

chances are pretty good if it has recently showed up that its bladder or white or other names for this slightly aggressive plant. leaves look correct and timing for the leaf is correct. i dont remember the leaf being 'velvet like' but i know where there is alot of it and will be heading out there in a few weeks, ill check it then.

but i dont find this plant to be particularily ugly unless one is farming. its not so aggressive that it takes over prairie. and it would be an early season pioneering plant so maybe even considered a sort of a nurse crop on weak sod soil.

i would like to remind the reader that this is observation in wisconsin and not farther south. it could be more of a problem down there. and any plant that is listed as aggressive should be watched closely.

froggy

• Siren
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh wow, I am very surprised to have recieved a response this soon, if at all. I'm hoping that it's not some strange, poisonous look-alike. Perhaps "velvet-like" was a wrong description, but the leaves of the plant are very soft and not glaborous. In fact, the whole plant is quite hairy, the stems, flowers, everything. I've also failed to mention that the plant has a very pungent, skunkish odor when damaged.

Thank you so much, Froggy, for such a quick response!

• mikeLHS68
    19 years ago

Looks like BC 2 me. I have a bit of this in my area. The only other flower I know that closely resembles this is Sapponaria, Bouncing Bet, but a different growth habit. BB
    is a pain an prop by runners.

• Siren
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks so much, for all your help. I'm feeling more confident about calling said plant "Bladder Campion" now. I greatly appreciate this.

• John_of_Illinois
    18 years ago

It isn't Bladder Campion -- Bladder Campion doesn't have any hairs on its stems or leaves. More likely, it is Silene pratense (Evening Campion) or Silene noctiflora (Night-Flowering Catchfly). Their flowers bloom at night and are quite attractive at that time, although during the day they are withered looking. Bladder Campion is in bloom during the day.

The Butler-Bremer website has misidentified the photographed plant as Bladder Campion (Silene vulgaris). It looks like Evening Campion to me.

• paalexan
    18 years ago

Well... "bladder campion" is apparently used to refer to both Silene vulgaris and Silene latifolia (the latter also sometimes being listed as Silene alba), which are quite distinct plants. Often Silene latifolia is called "white campion" as well. Anyways, this definitely isn't Silene vulgaris. It might be Silene alba.

Patrick Alexander

• thegardenangel
    18 years ago

Hi Siren,

I had this plant show in my garden this year and I really liked it, as it just glows at night with a sweet fragrance.
    I did some research to find out what it was and here are two links that have more information, hope they help. :)

Silene pratensis
    Lychnis alba

~Maria~

• Flowerkitty
    18 years ago

I have white campion around my house. I checked and the leaves are fuzzy like velvet. Bladder campion does not have fuzzy leaves. My plants start out as a rosette or cluster of leaves. The base leaves can be up to 4 inches long. Eventually tall stems come up, with rather tiny leaves on the flowering stem followed by the white flowers. It is not a native but so pretty I am keeping it. As long as it doesn't dry up it flowers all summer. It is very pretty and airy with the scattered flowers

Here is a link that might be useful: white campion

Sponsored