Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

Question: Solarizing lawn, should saplings/shrubs be removed?

njbiology
15 years ago

Question: Solarizing lawn, should saplings/shrubs be removed?

Hi,

I plan on applying 1 mil. thick clear plastic in solarizing my lawn and future garden plots. However, I have a number of small tree saplings and shrubs, all of which are removable; should I relocate them to a different part of the property until next spring, after the plastic has been removed.

I could leave them where they are and extend the plastic coverage short of 2 feet from each sapling's/shrub's trunk (these are new saplings/shrubs that do not have roots that extend beyond 1' from the base.)

The only problem I see with this is a slight loss in benefit where the soil directly around and specific to tree (4 x 4 area) does not get to be treated; and the second issue is that I cannot just lay down a single sheet - I have to subdivide it into multiple cuts to work around the 10 shrubs/trees.

1. Would you recommend that I remove the just recently planted shrubs/saplings and ball-and-burlap their roots and place them in the ground for this year somewhere else out of the way? I want to b&b the roots because I want to be able to remove the plants which, in a few cases have deep tap roots, to assure that they tap root doesn't manage to establish itself this year before I have a chance to put it in its intended place. I have two 5' pawpaw saplings which put forth deep tap roots.

2. Would you recommend I just leave them where they are and not worry about solarizing the soil associated with the holes they have been planted in (for fungus, disease, etc.) since solarizing mostly affects the upper-soil surface and if there are issues in the soil, the deep roots will encounter these unfavorable conditions anyway.

Thanks,

Steve

Comment (1)