Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillyjax

harvesting bluebonnet seed

jillyjax
16 years ago

We bought a house on a bayou with very high, man-made banks. I threw down bluebonnet seed that I collected over the past several years.

It would have been funny to watch me (several times) lean over and inspect the unmowed wild grasses at the banks edge for any signs of my bluebonnets. Then one day I stepped out a foot further and found masses of bluebonnets washed about 8' down the bank. They are too far down to be seen by those other than joggers.

I want to harvest seed and plant them on the other side of the bayou so, selfishly, I can see them.

1) When and how? Do I pull the plants and remove seeds in the comfort of my home? Will I be disappointed with the great number of critters that come along with the plant?

2) Can I chemically scarify and if I do not, will I have few that germinate? If I use the water method, how is that best done for pounds of seed? As a youngster, I sandwiched them between wet papertowels with little success :)

Thanks for any help

Comments (3)

• ladyslppr
    15 years ago

I do not have any experience with Texas Bluebonnets, but in general any native plant's seeds can be harvested from the plant when they ripen and spread immediately in a suitable place for them to grow. I would watch the bluebonnets and you'll see seeds or seed pods develop in the places on the plant where flowers grew. These will probably be green at first, then slowly mature to brown and get sort of dried out. You can open a few along the way to check on the seeds. Normally seeds start out green or white and soft, then mature to brown or black and hard. When the seeds are dry and ripe, you can harvest them - usually they are ready to fall off of the plant when ripe. You can then simply spread them in the location where you want plants. The natural progression of the seasons will be enough to stratify the seed and it should sprout at the right time next year. I would expect a low percentage of the seed you collect to become plants, but since you should be able to collect a whole lot of seed pretty easily, that is OK. Like I said, these instructions are sort of general for all native plants, but I think they'll get you started growing bluebonnets. You definitely should not pull the plants, at least not until the seed is ripe. Once you pull the plants the seed will stop developing and unless it is almost fully grown, won't become viable seed. You shouldn't need to chemically scarify the seed - the ones that fall off the plant naturally sprout without any help. If you want to start plants indoors, then you might try to water sprouting method, but it sounds like you just want to sow seeds outside and hope for the best, so I wouldn't even bring the seed inside - I'd collect it and spread it at the same time.

• Jerri
    15 years ago

bluebonnets are so easy to spread. The best way is to pull up the whole plant and just throw it where you want next year's plants to grow. It seems like you would be killing off next year's crop that way( in the original location), but enough of the seed gets self-thrown so that really doesn't happen. The bluebonnet makes a bean pod, you need to pull it up when it is dry but not so dry that all the pods have spilled seed. they do actually 'throw' their seed.

Put an armful of plants in one spot. The plant serves as a mulch to keep the seed covered. Germination of bluebonnet seed is low at the best of times but this gives me the best spread I've found so far: just throwing down the whole plant in a new location. I've seen a lot of people who mow the dried plant and rake the cuttings to spread a stand too.
    j

• scotjute Z8
    15 years ago

Pick the bean pods once they turn brown and scatter on the ground where you want them. They should germinate in the fall.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting