Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joepyeweed_gw

@#$%^ Weeds!

joepyeweed
15 years ago

So last year I cleared an area near my house about 30' wide x 50' long for a butterfly garden. I smothered the area for about a month, then left it exposed and applied a couple series of round up to emerging growth about two months apart, once in July and again in September.

I seeded it on December 21st with a short grass prairie mix heavy on butterfly flowers, it has prairie drop seed, side oats grama, little blue stem, it also has hyssop, coreopsis, coneflowers, butterfly weed, asters, liatris, prairie clovers, the usual prairie flowers... Right after I spread the seed, I covered the area with a thick straw mulch...

So now this spring, the area has some type of speedwell (veronica/figwort species) growing actively right through the straw, all over. (I am figuring that the straw had the seeds in it?) I'm thinking to myself (and I know that i would tell other people) that the speedwell is not going to outcompete the natives once they get started. But I really don't want the stuff spreading into the lawn areas or my neighbors lawn.... so I am considering hand picking it out... except isn't speedwell, one of those rhizomatous plants that will spread even more if hand weed it? Maybe I should just get out the round-up again - not my preferred alternative. Or maybe I should just not worry about the speedwell?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors