Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
@#$%^ Weeds!

Posted by joepyeweed 5b IL (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 08 at 16:10

So last year I cleared an area near my house about 30' wide x 50' long for a butterfly garden. I smothered the area for about a month, then left it exposed and applied a couple series of round up to emerging growth about two months apart, once in July and again in September.

I seeded it on December 21st with a short grass prairie mix heavy on butterfly flowers, it has prairie drop seed, side oats grama, little blue stem, it also has hyssop, coreopsis, coneflowers, butterfly weed, asters, liatris, prairie clovers, the usual prairie flowers... Right after I spread the seed, I covered the area with a thick straw mulch...

So now this spring, the area has some type of speedwell (veronica/figwort species) growing actively right through the straw, all over. (I am figuring that the straw had the seeds in it?) I'm thinking to myself (and I know that i would tell other people) that the speedwell is not going to outcompete the natives once they get started. But I really don't want the stuff spreading into the lawn areas or my neighbors lawn.... so I am considering hand picking it out... except isn't speedwell, one of those rhizomatous plants that will spread even more if hand weed it? Maybe I should just get out the round-up again - not my preferred alternative. Or maybe I should just not worry about the speedwell?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: @#$%^ Weeds!

Another option might be mowing it back whenever it gets tall, as the natives will probably stay very low to the ground the first year.

o
RE: @#$%^ Weeds!

I did a quick search and found link below which does not mention spread by rhizomes.

But even if you are correct, if I were you I'd jerk it out of there now anyway. If it is new plants from seed, then the chances are good you'll get the entire thing or darn near - if your soil is fairly loose. At the very least, you'll discourage it and prevent its going to seed. And as you say, in a few years the natives will outcompete it, so as long as you keep it at bay until they are ready to do that, it should work. I am just paranoid about using herbicides anywhere near my good stuff. Don't like using them anywhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: Veronica, Speedwell

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here