Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flower in the first year? (Blue Vervain & Showy Goldenrod)

Posted by patrick212 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 1, 09 at 17:07

I have a rooftop deck in Chicago and wanted to add some native plants to the mix (in addition to some late summer bloomers). I'll be starting both Blue Vervain (Verbena Hastata) and Showy Goldenrod (Solidago Speciosa) from seed. I will start them indoors under lights in the next week or two. Do any of you know if either plant will bloom in its first year? They will be grown in 24" diameter pots in full sun. Thanks for any help that you can offer.

Take care, Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flower in the first year? (Blue Vervain & Showy Goldenrod)

Pat, the Verbena should flower, but the Solidago will not.

o

I started Solidago speciosa from seed last year, and they did not flower the first year, just made small basal clumps of leaves. Now I'm trying to figure out where they're coming up in my meadow garden.

You might want to consider Asters - they are lovely late season bloomers, and all 3 species I started from seed last Spring bloomed a little in fall. One species that might work okay in a container is Aster laevis (aka Symphyotrichum laeve or Smooth blue aster). It has pretty lavender-blue flowers, nice foliage, and Bill Cullina says it one of the best for garden use with "a neat habit, rarely needs staking, and is very drought-tolerant".

o
another suggestion

Another flower suggestion: agastache cana (Texas Hummingbird Mint)

It is easy to grow from seed and it flowers the first year. It also has a neat smell (cross between Hubba Bubba and mint.)

o

Black Eyed Susans and Annise Hyssop will flower in their first year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here