Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant bird seed?

Posted by hollis4 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 04 at 19:19

I'm wondering if it is possible to use a part of my meadow to plant certain bird seeds to allow birds to pick at the mature crop in fall/winter. Anyone been able to do it? Thinking about rototilling a band here and there. Can this work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant bird seed?

Not sure what you mean by bird seed. Birds will eat the seeds of most prairie plants.

o

Well,.. I'm wondering about millet,milo,sorgum, canary seed etc.

o

WELL.... I left my purple coneflowers alone after they flowered and I check after a while and the birds ate the seed. Then, I gathered all the millet plants that sprouted under the feeder in my mulch and replanted in a field along with corn and other plants like that and the birds just help themselves.

o

Bird seed scattered or fallen under a feeder sprouts all the time. I get millet, sorghum and sunflowers all coming up like that.

o

plant bird seed?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

are u trying to grow birds?

froggy

o

Birds eat many different seeds and bugs. Most of the native coneflowers and grasses produce seed that birds will eat, as will many of the plants you likely already have in your meadow. I don't think you really need to plant "bird seed" to provide food for birds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here