Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwbeall

Does anyone post here much anymore?

mwbeall
17 years ago

We have experienced temps in the low 20s here for the last couple days and another couple predicted. How has the temperature affected other across the region? What precautions have you taken to protect seddings, etc.?

Comments (5)

• ahughes798
    17 years ago

The weather has killed the blooms on everything...except my native plants are fine. HA!

• mwbeall
    Original Author
    17 years ago

AHUGHES,
    My prairie planting is E of you in S Pulaski Co, IN. Thanks for the encouragement; I think my woodlant species (trout lily, Virginia bluebells, trillium, spring beauty...)have bit the dust, though. They were up with my naturalized daffodils (Sigh...)

Mike

• jeffyboy
    17 years ago

Many of the woodland natives are frozen here in kansas. I'm sure most will recover, but some may not flower this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: my garden

• joepyeweed
    17 years ago

The columbine looks fine. The bloodroot has kind of closed up it leaves, but looks okay. The virginia water leaf looks shriveled. The trilliums look stressed. The sprouts on the rest of my natives look pretty healthy.

However, the non-natives, not doing so well, the tulips are moosh. The daffodils were just about done blooming and they are all wilted down. I am sure they will be fine in the long run, I'd be surprised if we got any tulip blooms this year.

Last fall, I had planted a few annabelle hydrangea shrubs. They were a cultivar, perhaps not real hearty for my zone, and not "truly" native to my area. They had sprouted new growth earlier. Before the cold, I covered them up with a thick pile of leaves for protection. When it warms up, I will uncover them and see how they fared.

I do have an oakleaf hydrangea that is native to my area. It hadn't even started budding yet, so I am pretty sure that is okay.

My tiny service berry was in full bloom when the cold hit. The blooms faded fast, not sure if that will affect berry production or not?

And my tiny pagoda dogwood had just started to bud when the cold came. The buds have pretty much stayed closed. I will be watching that one also.

• mwbeall
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My flowers are fine; spectacular actually!! The mertensia, spring beauties, cress, trillium, all bloomed happily!

Sponsored