Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which ones should I not plant? invasive? help please!

Posted by CramItWitWalnutsUgly z7 MD (My Page) on
Sun, May 23, 04 at 2:23

I'm going to start a bed with prairie plants and wanted to know which I should avoid because of invasinivess(is that a word?). A list of plants to avoid would be great.

Also, I was interested in planting showy milkweed (asclepias speciosa) and my catalog said it was aggressive, rhizom. Should I avoid this plant? Will it be aggressive in zone 7? I know my common milkweed is streading everywhere in one of my other beds.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which ones should I not plant? invasive? help please!

There over 300 plants native to Midwestern prairies. Tell us which ones you are condsidering and we can go from there. Otherwise, it's an entire book.

(But most prairie plants are not "invassive." If they were, they'd be all over the place by themselves. They aren't.)

o

The only meadow plant that I've found to be invasive is the perennial Maximilian Sunflower. Spreading by underground rhizomes (?), it forms dense jungles if left unchecked. I've had to use Roundup to control it, and also spend a lot of time pulling up stems in the spring.

o

Asclepias speciosa is extremely invasive in a garden bed. Roots as thick as your thumb in every direction. I'm in z3, if you lived here I would advise against growing it unless you lived on an acreage where you could give it plenty of room. I had to eradicate it from my garden it was such a thug (and a jolly time I had trying to do it).

Grows in large patches on the prairie here.

John - my experience is many native prairie plants are invasive in my city garden. Several others I've had to remove from my garden or work hard at containing - Oenothera caespitosa, Sphaeralcea coccinea, Glaux maritima, Rumex venosus, Solidago missouriensis, Artemisia ludoviciana .

o

I agree that certain plants can be invasive in smaller gardens. I haven't found milkweek to be too much of a problem (I'm tolerant of its wanderings because of Monarchs), but definitely sunflowers, black eyed susan and coneflowers. Also cupplant has been a problem. Big Blue Stem can also be aggressive in small plantings.

Jeanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here