Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daisy Fleabane

Posted by joebryant zone 5 Indiana (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 04 at 10:08

My field is loaded with daisy fleabane that I did not plant in 2002. I'm supposed to have 33 varieties of wildflowers with little bluestem (blaze) to really take off this year (2004). Last year all I had was crabgrass that I had to mow and mow. Now this year, so far in May, I see very few little bluestem, some coreopsis and indian blanket, but millions of daisy fleabane that I did not plant seeds for. i.e., they're everywhere, and I have no idea how they got so thick; it looks like I planted a ton of seeds for them. This was originally a one-acre field of fescue. Will my little bluestem and other flowers survive in this type of jungle?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daisy Fleabane

Yep! there's a term for Daisy Fleabane and other similar palnts that I am blanking on right now, but it will come in in huge numbers for just a year. You'll still have some next year but you will be surprised how much the numbers drop off. It won't harm the other plants that you're trying to grow.

V.

o

It might help to cut everything back so as to get more light to the smaller plants. That would also remove the flowers and reduce the amount of seed the fleabane produces.

o

• Posted by Furpaws z6 SE Michigan (My Page) on
    Thu, May 27, 04 at 11:48

The word is: Biennial

o

Also, opportunistic. Remember the movie Field of Dreams? If you build it, they will come! Linda

o

• Posted by Rosa 4 CO (My Page) on
    Sat, May 29, 04 at 9:40

Early seral stage plants will give way to native perennials as they establish, competition for light/water/nutrients is increased in the favor of natives and disturbance is reduced. Same with ironweed (kochia) and russian thistle (salsola).

Daisy fleabane (Erigeron annuus) is most often a winter annual but will behave as a true biennial in some areas.

Agree with mowing to reduce seed population and reduce competition in favor of natives.

o

If you can, set it on fire next spring or this fall. You will be amazed at how it sets back the cool season weeds and grasses and gives the warm season natives a huge advantage. It really takes three good years of mowing and burning to break the non-native weed cycle and for your natives to get mature enough to make a run at going to seed with gusto. Don't worry about the daisy fleabane, it will be less next year especially if you mow it before it sets seed.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here