Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want to plant wildflower/grass meadow z7 on hillside

Posted by michele_1 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 07 at 11:35

I am wondering if I will have an erosion problem if I plant a large native wildflower/grass meadow on a rather steep hill. I would love to have your informed opinions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want to plant wildflower/grass meadow z7 on hillside

You will have erosion problems only if you leave the ground bare. Establishing a prairie is usually done with a cover crop of annual rye or oats to keep the soil covered while waiting for the prairie plants seeds to germinate, so erosion should not be a problem.

The seed catologue from Prairie Moon Nursery has detailed instructions on starting a meadow. See the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Moon

o

You could use a cover crop or you could use an erosion control blanket. Its a netted matt, that acts as a mulch that holds the soil and seed in place until the vegetation gets established. Evenutally the matt decomposes.

http://www.nagreen.com/products/SC150.html

o

I used an erosion control blanket from North American Green and it worked well on my first try. Some blankets are completely degradable and some are not. For wild life and human safety I tend to prefer a blanket that is completely degradable in some manner so that no one gets tangled in left over netting years later. Some blankets are biodegradable but with a plastic netting mixed in that is photodegradable. With either of those options, you should not have to remove any of the blanket once installed since it all disappears within a few years. The blanket is put over the seed. You can also cut holes in the blanket to install previously grown plants. The top edge (and sometimes the bottom edge) is buried and the whole thing is pegged in at regular intervals on the blanket. Make sure to order a lot of pegs with the blanket. The blankets often have the spots for the pegs marked on them so you don't have to guess. During the winter and before I planted the native seed and installed the blanket I held the slope together with cereal rye which I killed before doing the native seeding and blanketing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here